ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe I’m just old school

Larry4681

Walk-on candidate
Sep 27, 2023
This year as just a casual NFL fan I’ve watched more games than I have in the past. Why does every WR and RB feel the need after every first down to jump up and signal first down(even in cases they were wide open)? What happened to players making a play and just going back to the huddle? Idk it’s just hard to stomach.

Let’s not exclude the staged “photo ops” after scoring, the prancing around the field after a big play, the taunting, and the many “all about me” crap that, for me, has poisoned my enjoyment of football at both levels.
Such BS is also going on in baseball, with bat flips, posing at home plate, teams that are 20 games out of first place celebrating wins, unnecessary head-first slides, etc.
Although I’m an old guy, this crap I would dislike even if I were in my early years.

The reason I do not watch the NFL, cant stand that crap. Give me Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton, Ronnie Lott, Reggie White. I am happy for CeeDee, but he and Zeke get my blood boiling when I watched them. The smell your finger for a first down and the damn feed me thing. They are taking a game I love that is all about teamwork and playing for your brothers and making it an individual sport. Maybe it pisses me off because I am not able to play on Sundays making millions to support my family, instead I work twice as many hours have to deal with parents, make lesson plans, teach 5 classes a day, and get paid yearly what these guys make in one quarter of a game.

Reactions: harolds
This year as just a casual NFL fan I’ve watched more games than I have in the past. Why does every WR and RB feel the need after every first down to jump up and signal first down(even in cases they were wide open)? What happened to players making a play and just going back to the huddle? Idk it’s just hard to stomach.
That’s one of the biggest reasons that my 2 all time favorite Sooners are Q & Samaje. They both would just flip the ball to the ref like “yeah I just scored, & it ain’t no big deal because I’m gonna do it again.”

I was fortunate enough to get to see Earl Campbell play. Ken "The Snake" Stabler was the QB, and Houston Oilers was the team. The Astrodome was new and I was young! Good times!
The Astrodome was 13 years old in Earl’s first year of 1978.
And you’re right, those were good times.
As Bum said, The Cowboys may be America’s team, but we’re Texas’ team!”!

It's even worse with defenders making a tackle for loss. They seem to have the need to preen after every tackle, often running ten yards behind the los. I don't understand why offenses don't line up quickly and run a play, while others are posing. Automatic five yards.

Reactions: iasooner2000

How does it feel to be the ONLY one to troll Orangebloods last night, as they are losing a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP playoff game? You were the ONLY fan of any other school there to kick the Horns while they were SUFFERING deep anguish and pain. Don't you know that these Horn fans were in PURE AGONY? And there you are, getting them so pissed off that their heads were literally exploding. Damn @Larry4681, the nerve of some people. I would like to say I am SO ASHAMED OF YOU... but I'm not. I'm proud of you.

Last edited:
I mildly perturbed some Hawkeye fans yesterday but most knew how lousy they are.
They played 3 ranked teams in 23/24 and were shut out all three times, 92-O in total !
(Last points vs a ranked opponent were in garbage time, Q4 loss vs Michigan 10/1/22)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 22LR
It's even worse with defenders making a tackle for loss. They seem to have the need to preen after every tackle, often running ten yards behind the los. I don't understand why offenses don't line up quickly and run a play, while others are posing. Automatic five yards.
What’s even funnier to me is when a DB makes what he thinks is a PBU, gets up, makes the biggest pass incomplete signal he can make, & then looks down only to see that little yellow hankie at his feet. Maybe you should worry about actually making sure you made the play first before you hot dog it?

How does it feel to be the ONLY one to troll Orangebloods last night, as they are losing a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP playoff game? You were the ONLY fan of any other school there to kick the Horns while they were SUFFERING deep anguish and pain. Don't you know that these Horn fans were in PURE AGONY? And there you are, getting them so pissed off that their heads were literally exploding. Damn @Larry4681, the nerve of some people. I would like to say I am SO ASHAMED OF YOU... but I'm not. I'm
How does it feel to be the ONLY one to troll Orangebloods last night, as they are losing a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP playoff game? You were the ONLY fan of any other school there to kick the Horns while they were SUFFERING deep anguish and pain. Don't you know that these Horn fans were in PURE AGONY? And there you are, getting them so pissed off that their heads were literally exploding. Damn @Larry4681, the nerve of some people. I would like to say I am SO ASHAMED OF YOU... but I'm not. I'm proud of you.
Lol. Man it was just getting out of control. I realize refs make bad calls and it’s frustrating but they were taking it to a whole other level. It was pathetic.

Reactions: Medic007 and 22LR
Whorns mod banned me then he got fired. MM banned me. Got along with most over there, good folks imo. I've been in south Texas for the past 37 years, heck, all my buds are whorns and aggy.

Lol. Man it was just getting out of control. I realize refs make bad calls and it’s frustrating but they were taking it to a whole other level. It was pathetic.

415052525_7424250757625743_7802482037590509017_n.jpg

In fairness, it seemed like they called four total penalties on UDub, then took three of them back for whatever reason. Meanwhile, they called double digit penalties on the Horns. I'm no Lonhorn fan, but the disparity seemed unfair. Wahington didn't play that much cleaner. I think it was a Big Ten crew. They seemed to have it in for Texas from the beginning. I never pull for Texas in football but thought it would have been nice if we'd given Texas their only loss of the season.

I know that if that happened to us, what you saw from Orangebloods wasn't any different than what you'd have seen on any OU board. But I thought the difference in the game was the Washington passing game. Their quarterback was brilliant. Yet the Horns still had a chance at the end. As it came to overcoming penalties, they played a lot like the Cowboys. Close, but no cigar.

I will be a huge Husky puller in the finals.

And I would call out our fans as well. There is no rule that penalties have to be close to the same lol. Every game is different and every team matches up differently.

Reactions: Oklabama
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT