ADVERTISEMENT

Many OU season tix holders must have jumped ship.

Section22Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 8, 2002
I've never seen this before in all my years of buying season tickets. Season ticket holders are being given an appointed time to add/change their season ticket quantity and locations. Perhaps it is just web technology that is newly being used, but it sure seems to me that there are a lot of empty seats coming available.

This is from the email. I did not include the rest of it.

af3de25d1729bf0e2e22decd50f06171.jpg

I got this same email. Starting May 3rd, season ticket holders have been provided an exact date and time they can log on to upgrade their seats. I heard that many season ticket holders gave up their seats this year. I was upgraded 3 times in the 30 years I've had season tickets. I had a standing request to upgrade the last 8 years or so with no luck. I will be looking to upgrade this year.

We're also moving into an era where the television broadcast can now rival live viewing. Cheap, huge tv's. Ultra HD. Multiple camera angles. Replays. Broadcasts of all games.

Then add in all of the restrictions on sporting events because of knuckleheads, and the middle class losing disposable income.

If something doesn't give, ticket prices will have to drop to maintain sell outs in all sports.

For $1000 you can buy a top of the line 65" HD Television and watch College Game Day, the OU game and all the rest of the games you want.

Or you can drive to Norman and watch one game a day. It's seriously becoming harder and harder to drive to Norman.

Cough up the extra cash to watch OU game at home, buy someone's OU/Texas tickets and i'm pretty happy.

Large format HD tv's have been relatively ubiquitous for a decade.

The real advance has been the increase in HD broadcasts and the quality of multiple camera views, highly sensitive cameras that can allow super high frame rates for slow motion replay, and other broadcast advances.

Broadcasts technology is catching up with tv technology.

Edit: I bought my first HD LCD tv in 2004. When I got that tv, the only hd broadcast I could receive was the Discovery Channel from DirecTV, and they even broadcast only a few programs in HD. It took almost ten years from that time for every channel to be hd.... Yet almost every provider still provides an hd charge like it's a special service.

My rants.

^^^ You are correct. I wasn't trying to get all techy.

Mine is more the point I can watch College Game Day, the 11 am game, the 2:30 game, the OU game, and the 6 pm games and not leave my house.

I do like the game day experience but the HD experience has also certainly hurt the NFL over the years and I think it's probably going to do the same to colleges if they aren't careful.

I understand the trend is for larger stadiums but there may come a day that universities yearn for the days that it only took 75K to fill the stadium. Networks will still pay big bucks for TV rights, but as already stated, the desire to follow your favorite team in the comfort of your own home watching the game with a better view, beer (or Black Jack, fitty) just a few steps away, etc., plus the advantage of watching three or four other games without the travel time and money it takes to go to Norman is too appealing for some fans. That may be the longest sentence I'm ever posted.

Ask baseball stadiums. I guarantee you the Texas Rangers wish they had a 35,000 seat stadium instead of a 49,000 seat beheamoth that they can't fill but a couple times a year. Takes away from the experience on game day and dimishes your home field/court advantage.

When the Rangers move to downtown Dallas (and I think it's coming) I doubt they build a bigger than 40,000 seat stadium.

Look at Gallagher Iba arena at OSU. They expanded that and OSU has zero home court advantage any more. There is something to be said for having an extremely NICE facility vs. and extremely BIG facility.

I understand the trend is for larger stadiums but there may come a day that universities yearn for the days that it only took 75K to fill the stadium. Networks will still pay big bucks for TV rights, but as already stated, the desire to follow your favorite team in the comfort of your own home watching the game with a better view, beer (or Black Jack, fitty) just a few steps away, etc., plus the advantage of watching three or four other games without the travel time and money it takes to go to Norman is too appealing for some fans. That may be the longest sentence I'm ever posted.

And much smaller risk of Muhammed igniting 10 pounds of C4 under your butt...

Like Dallas said - it's not just an OU or college football thing.

I'm a Mavs season ticket holder, and I'll admit that it's a beating/chore to be a ticket holder. I can't sell my tickets to games I don't attend.. Not for the life of me. I even offer my tickets for free on the Mavs forums when I can't go, and they don't get claimed. I have lower level - pretty nice seats too.

I have to record the games when I go, so I can watch them when I get home and catch everything I missed inside the arena. The extended stats are on a board behind one of the backboards. You watch a play and then try to look at the extended stats and you miss the next play.

I relayed all of my disappointments to Mavs personnel, but I'm sure they fell on deaf ears. Watching live sports is getting more and more prohibitive when comparing against live broadcasts.

This is a new program that OU has been planning for months if not years… The fact that many fans have given up tickets is pure coincidence.

But other than the team’s performance why have fan given up their tickets….?

It’s has become physically harder to drive though the Norman area, to and from the stadium.

The state, city and OU have all done a lousy job of accommodating OU football traffic. Parking has become more expensive and it’s much harder to find without walking a long way or arriving several hours before the game…..It takes 2 to 3 hours for the football traffic to empty out of Norman after a game.

This all adds up to requiring a lot more time, money and effort for the average fan.

The national statistic show that real family income has declined over the past 6 years and that health insurance premiums have shot dramatically upward… When combined with the crash of oil & NG prices people in Oklahoma just don’t have the disposable income for tickets and smaller football donations that they once had.

Ask baseball stadiums. I guarantee you the Texas Rangers wish they had a 35,000 seat stadium instead of a 49,000 seat beheamoth that they can't fill but a couple times a year. Takes away from the experience on game day and dimishes your home field/court advantage.

When the Rangers move to downtown Dallas (and I think it's coming) I doubt they build a bigger than 40,000 seat stadium.

Look at Gallagher Iba arena at OSU. They expanded that and OSU has zero home court advantage any more. There is something to be said for having an extremely NICE facility vs. and extremely BIG facility.

The biggest mistake the Rangers ever made was not building a stadium that had a removable roof. It is so uncomfortable out there with the heat of July and August, which is a big part of the time when baseball is the only real game in town, unless you count Jerrah's "pre season games."

I suspect Arlington is a much better location. It's part of why Jerrah is across the parking lot now. And btw, you might not have known that Arlington itself is now bigger than a few long time major league towns.

I'd think 49K is pretty average by MLB standards, especially for a big market team, which the Rangers absolutely are these days. Had they built a stadium with AC, they'd have attracted the best free agent talent, and not seen them leave nearly as much when their contracts ended. Tom Schieffer gets such local praise for his oversight in building the stadium, now more than 20 years ago, but even though it has a classic look, it was a stupid decision for the franchise long term. If it were air conditioned for the summer heat, and with a roof for the bad storms of April and May, they'd still sell out a lot. But both can make a ball park visit miserable. And the players wouldn't be worn down as they typically do in this park.

Still, baseball in the metroplex has been in Arlington for close to 50 years. I'd be very surprised for them to move to Dallas, especially downtown. I cannot imagine the kind of traffic you'd have to endure for a 7 p.m. game on weekdays.

Wished I lived closer so I could have season tickets. The only games on Saturday's that interest me involve the Sooners.

This is a new program that OU has been planning for months if not years… The fact that many fans have given up tickets is pure coincidence.

But other than the team’s performance why have fan given up their tickets….?
I have to say that some of that has to do with the age of the fan base that attends games as well. My inlaws gave up their north end zone tickets about 10 years ago as it was too physically demanding to drive and everything else it takes to put your rear into a seat. Heck I am 56 and went to the spring game. Thought I was going to have to get a hold of Medic :(

Reactions: K2C Sooner
The Rangers have the sixth largest park in MLB. They built it too big. Yeah a dome would make great sense. I like the Astros park in Houston. That's what the Rangers need. They need a downtown ballpark with a retractable roof cause it's hot in Texas in July, August.

Jerry built in Arlington because the Rangers were there and it was cheap.

The average MLB stadium is about 40,000 and the Rangers have about 8,000 more seats. The first homestand the Rangers drew 18,000 for a game. They are in trouble attendance wise cause they have signed some guys to some huge contracts in recent years.

You don't want to over build when it comes to things like this. You need a demand for your product. You can get in the gate at a Rangers game for $3 and then go find an empty seat.

The biggest mistake the Rangers ever made was not building a stadium that had a removable roof. It is so uncomfortable out there with the heat of July and August, which is a big part of the time when baseball is the only real game in town, unless you count Jerrah's "pre season games."

I suspect Arlington is a much better location. It's part of why Jerrah is across the parking lot now. And btw, you might not have known that Arlington itself is now bigger than a few long time major league towns.

I'd think 49K is pretty average by MLB standards, especially for a big market team, which the Rangers absolutely are these days. Had they built a stadium with AC, they'd have attracted the best free agent talent, and not seen them leave nearly as much when their contracts ended. Tom Schieffer gets such local praise for his oversight in building the stadium, now more than 20 years ago, but even though it has a classic look, it was a stupid decision for the franchise long term. If it were air conditioned for the summer heat, and with a roof for the bad storms of April and May, they'd still sell out a lot. But both can make a ball park visit miserable. And the players wouldn't be worn down as they typically do in this park.

Still, baseball in the metroplex has been in Arlington for close to 50 years. I'd be very surprised for them to move to Dallas, especially downtown. I cannot imagine the kind of traffic you'd have to endure for a 7 p.m. game on weekdays.

Very true. A domed stadium should have been built in the Metroplex, as it was in Houston. But as long as the Cowboys can play in a controlled environment, that's really all that matters for the DFW fan base.

I have to say that some of that has to do with the age of the fan base that attends games as well. My inlaws gave up their north end zone tickets about 10 years ago as it was too physically demanding to drive and everything else it takes to put your rear into a seat. Heck I am 56 and went to the spring game. Thought I was going to have to get a hold of Medic :(
I’m 56 too and sit in the north end zone….. I work on getting in football attending shape during the summer. The early season night games help me a lot.:)

It gets a little tougher each year but we have also become a lot softer as a society… but it now takes significantly more time and money to attend a home game than it did 30 or 40 years ago….

With the stadium expansions, growth of OU’s enrolment and the large growth in the city of Norman’s population OU, the city of Norman along with the state have done a very poor job of keeping up with traffic and parking demand issues. :mad:

Reactions: stuck in del rio

I disagree.

That touted plan was in reference to the newly expanded super-stadium which was to open this year. People like me who would have had their seats wiped out by the redesign were to be given an appointment to relocate. Well, nothing changes in stadium design this year. The big master plan was delayed, dropped, downsized then reintroduced. 2015's seating hasn't changed a bit. I truly believe that this year's musical chairs is being caused by people cancelling their season tickets. It is not a coincidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: DallasSooner
I disagree.

That touted plan was in reference to the newly expanded super-stadium which was to open this year. People like me who would have had their seats wiped out by the redesign were to be given an appointment to relocate. Well, nothing changes in stadium design this year. The big master plan was delayed, dropped, downsized then reintroduced. 2015's seating hasn't changed a bit. I truly believe that this year's musical chairs is being caused by people cancelling their season tickets. It is not a coincidence.
So are you suggesting many open seats this fall, or is this simply opening seats for a new group of season tic holders?. Got rid of mine in 2012. $104 per seat donation got me 2nd row in the south end zone.

There won't be open seats. OU has has a waiting list for a while. Just looks like more than usual ticket turnover though. In the past OU definitely hasn't had to do much "upgrade" advertising and this year it seems like they are.

That's right.
I'm on the waiting list.
Just waiting for 5781 poor souls to die...at the going rate I'll get my pair of seats in 2031...and I'll be 80 years old...
Got that going for me...
hey....we can drive motorized chairs up the ramp (mine will be custom with at least 10 hp)

When we bought our season tickets the only waiting list was for folks who didn't want to pony up for a per seat contribution. I suppose that list still exists.

When we bought our season tickets the only waiting list was for folks who didn't want to pony up for a per seat contribution. I suppose that list still exists.

Jaaa, I've had my tix since '94 and have never been a donor. I've donated to the university, but it was voluntary and unrelated to my football tickets. (Had to say that so you all don't think I'm a cheap skate.)

Last edited:
Jaaa, I've had my tix since '94 and have never been a donor. I've donated to the university, but it was voluntary and unrelated to my football tickets. (Had to say that so you all don't think I'm a cheap skate.)
ditto 22...contribute to the Engr. College every year...as without them I would be throwing bricks in Maryland.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I disagree.

Just over a year ago I personally spoke with a representative of OU’s Sooner Club when it was explained to me that OU was going to install a new computer based program that would allow fans to go on line and see what seats were open , or not…. and that season tickets holders would have an opportunity to change their ticket location based on their priority points….

This same story was told to me just before Christmas 2014 by somebody from the OU ticket office.

The new plan eliminates what has been probably the biggest most time consuming headache for the ticket office that has also been a source of anger from a few fans…

Since its believe that this new ticket relocation plan will lower the cost of running the ticket office this plan was going to happen regardless of expansion and regardless of ticket turn over.

We can look forward to having it at OU for many years.

^^^ You are correct. I wasn't trying to get all techy.

Mine is more the point I can watch College Game Day, the 11 am game, the 2:30 game, the OU game, and the 6 pm games and not leave my house.

I do like the game day experience but the HD experience has also certainly hurt the NFL over the years and I think it's probably going to do the same to colleges if they aren't careful.
I read an article awhile back that predicted with the technology advancement and rising ticket prices, sporting events could end up being played in a studio, instead of a stadium.

Just over a year ago I personally spoke with a representative of OU’s Sooner Club when it was explained to me that OU was going to install a new computer based program that would allow fans to go on line and see what seats were open , or not…. and that season tickets holders would have an opportunity to change their ticket location based on their priority points….

This same story was told to me just before Christmas 2014 by somebody from the OU ticket office.

The new plan eliminates what has been probably the biggest most time consuming headache for the ticket office that has also been a source of anger from a few fans…

Since its believe that this new ticket relocation plan will lower the cost of running the ticket office this plan was going to happen regardless of expansion and regardless of ticket turn over.

We can look forward to having it at OU for many years.

Thanks for the explanation Soonerheart. It sounds like a great service.

Reactions: Soonerheart
I read an article awhile back that predicted with the technology advancement and rising ticket prices, sporting events could end up being played in a studio, instead of a stadium.

The Orioles / White Sox game is being played in a big studio this afternoon. Sadly, it isn't because of the reasons you gave.

On the money! Gallagher Hall's competitive advantage was huuuuge when it held just under 7,000. It was so loud that during the 1978 Big Eight Wrestling Championships, the light bulbs actually exploded after the 190 pound match (OSU's Daryl Monasmith beat returning National Champion Frank Santana of Iowa State in a huge upset to clinch the Big Twelve Championship). Now, they can't fill the stands and have to black out part of it with curtains for a lot of the events. It's much, much quieter.

ADVERTISEMENT