ADVERTISEMENT

Hicks goes Texas A&M...

We have to get some of these guys if we want to be near the top of the SEC. It still seems a little far fetched that the top D lineman would choose OU...even with Venebles.

I imagine NIL has a lot to do with it. But watching that crap defense against Kansas state probably has something to do with it too.

Cash took over in ‘98; the threepeat occurred under his watch (note; I’m not necessarily giving him credit as a lot of the pieces we’re already there, just saying it happened while he was GM). What has changed though, has been at the top. Hal is an accountant by trade, & although they still do have one of the highest payrolls in baseball, he will pinch a penny way more regularly than his dad did (that’s what’s making me laugh my head off about Judge doing what he’s doing; either Hal ante’s up or he becomes the most hated man in New York. Those are his options, period.) If George saw a need, he went out & filled it without a moment’s hesitation, often in spectacular fashion. These days? Not quite as much. They’re satisfied with being good. Good was a four letter word to George.
Cashman did become GM in 1998, inheriting a team built by Gene Michael and Bob Watson, who were able to retain the corps of young players while George Steinbrenner was suspended for three years. Cashman had little to do with assembling the great teams of 1998, 1999 and 2000.
Hal Steinbrenner is about making money and he seems content to have a team contend annually, but really not be at a World Series Championship level. He provides Yankees fan with a winning team each season to keep the stadium filled. Not sure I would label Hal Steinbrenner a penny-pincher given his okaying obscene contracts to Stanton (owed $37 million through 2027), Cole (owed $36 million a year through 2028) and taking on Donalson's two-year $50 million contract last winter. Plus, Aaron Hicks has over $30 million left on his 7-year contract signed before the 2019 season.

I expect JC has a handle on NIL. Just a fact we refuse to see. My how the game has changed.
Schools, coaches, administrators, etc are prohibited from participating in NIL deals. Each state has a variation on the same laws but for the most part schools avoid scrutiny leading to potential violations. OU has been extremely strict about NIL participation. I suspect Texas A&M have not. 1Oklahoma have been walking a pretty straight line as well. We are being out bid and it is not for a lack of money.

Reactions: iasooner2000
$4 million has been tossed around. And if I was the in the Top 10 nationwide of HS recruits, I'd grab those type of $$$ all day long.

Message to OU.... go BIG or go home.

For those that felt these athletes should be getting paid this is what will eventually destroy once great programs down to being average.

Now its all about money and only those schools that can keep up with the money schools will stay relevent. The richest schools will eventually become super dynasties while everyone else just hopes they can have a great season every now and then.

This new system may very well make OU average within the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oklabama and CTOkie
1Oklahoma have been walking a pretty straight line as well. We are being out bid and it is not for a lack of money.
I have absolutely no problem “walking a pretty straight line”…..none whatsoever, but if we have the money, is it we just don’t think these guys are worth what they’re getting from other schools. If so, how will we ever be able to compete with the Texas A&Ms and other schools that’s signing players with big NIL deals? Eventually we will get down in the mud with the others. I’m not for that so I’m not expecting great seasons very often.

I have absolutely no problem “walking a pretty straight line”…..none whatsoever, but if we have the money, is it we just don’t think these guys are worth what they’re getting from other schools. If so, how will we ever be able to compete with the Texas A&Ms and other schools that’s signing players with big NIL deals? Eventually we will get down in the mud with the others. I’m not for that so I’m not expecting great seasons very often.
I will only speculate and can't say for sure but I think (1) OU got caught off guard on Hicks because it happened so fast and in the 11th hour & (2) the OU NIL approval process needs to be quicker and more decisive. I heard there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

I will only speculate and can't say for sure but I think (1) OU got caught off guard on Hicks because it happened so fast and in the 11th hour & (2) the OU NIL approval process needs to be quicker and more decisive. I heard there are too many cooks in the kitchen.
I give all credit to NIL on A&M getting Hicks. Jimbo was just a beneficiary.

Sounds like it. Thanks for your input.

$4 million has been tossed around. And if I was the in the Top 10 nationwide of HS recruits, I'd grab those type of $$$ all day long.

Message to OU.... go BIG or go home.
Just like the Dallas Cowboys of the 90's. Competition for top talent was not an issue for Jerry Jones when he could persuade anyone in free-agency without salary cap as an issue. He has done jack since. Everyone knows this is the M.O. of schools like A$M. They have done nothing of relevance in the sport. If by some miracle, the no-limit funding comes to an end, I suspect they would continue to be a perennial underachiever. With the current system, there is no reason why they should not dominate.

My days as a CFB fan will likely come to an end. I would rather watch the NFL as they have leveled the playing field at least from a monetary standpoint but my team sucks(Steelers) so there's that.

Just like the Dallas Cowboys of the 90's. Competition for top talent was not an issue for Jerry Jones when he could persuade anyone in free-agency without salary cap as an issue. He has done jack since. Everyone knows this is the M.O. of schools like A$M. They have done nothing of relevance in the sport. If by some miracle, the no-limit funding comes to an end, I suspect they would continue to be a perennial underachiever. With the current system, there is no reason why they should not dominate.

My days as a CFB fan will likely come to an end. I would rather watch the NFL as they have leveled the playing field at least from a monetary standpoint but my team sucks(Steelers) so there's that.
I think many old timers, including myself will see the love of CFB fade away with this system over time.

Jimbo already said they aint buying all their players

Semantics... A&M, the University isn't doing the buying. Jimbo just identifies who he wants and the boosters do the buying. And they are NOT breaking any rules of the NCAA or laws in the state of Texas. It's CFB today. NIL is permissible. And OU was simply out bid and they once again came up short.

I think many old timers, including myself will see the love of CFB fade away with this system over time.
I have "lived and died" for Oklahoma football since I attended the 1958 Texas game. Enjoyed many great games. Seen 4 championships (1974, 1975, 1985, 2000).
While I hope to see one more championship, I'm okay if I never see another one.

• Wow
CT, really? You are only saying that because you’re a couple of years younger than me and know you have a better chance. 😂
While we acknowledge what's on the horizon, brothers, SOONER FOOTBALL has infatuated me from the Steve Davis era in My youth through the Switzer battles with Osbourne OUr main rival during the 70's 80's and 90's. My how the times have changed. I'm looking forward to OU shaking up the sec. I really am but real close to turning that television off. Wettin a hook is more pleasurable for me these days anyway. I just can't keep up with the drama. 😁

While we acknowledge what's on the horizon, brothers, SOONER FOOTBALL has infatuated me from the Steve Davis era in My youth through the Switzer battles with Osbourne OUr main rival during the 70's 80's and 90's. My how the times have changed. I'm looking forward to OU shaking up the sec. I really am but real close to turning that television off. Wettin a hook is more pleasurable for me these days anyway. I just can't keep up with the drama. 😁
Good that you have the enjoyment of fishing and being on the water. Good for you, Woody.

I have "lived and died" for Oklahoma football since I attended the 1958 Texas game. Enjoyed many great games. Seen 4 championships (1974, 1975, 1985, 2000).
While I hope to see one more championship, I'm okay if I never see another one.
I am a little behind you and Oklabama at 63 but like you I remember those NC seasons very well. Of those NC I have seen I have to admit the 2000 season was the most exciting one for me considering nobody, including myself would have ever thought OU would win one that quick under BS. 2000 was truely a magical season.

Switzer though will always be my favorite OU coach of all time despite his shortcomings that put the team on probation. I have never met the man but I would love to meet him just to talk to him for a very short time. I have met Steve Owens ( OU vs BU in Waco in the mid 90's) and I have never forgotten how polite he was to me and my family. My wife worked with his best friend from HS and she had him get me an autographed picture of Owens.

It is really sad that Stoops didn't bring OU another NC after 2000 but he did get them in positon to win another one in 2003, 2004 and 2008. OU could have been the Bama dynasty we are seeing today if they had just won 2 of those other 3 games. I still think OU was the better team in 03 and 08 but the monkey on the back just couldn't be shaken.

I think today the likelyhood of seeing OU win another NC is very slim but like you I will always bleed Crimson and Cream and watch them with the same passion I have always had for the Sooners. It doesn't mean I have to like the NIL system that I still believe will eventually destroy many fans love for the game of CFB.

Its not all doom and gloom for me losing out on players that have not proven themselves worth of big money, some may never pan out and never be what they were hyped up to be, see Rattler. I think had we lost Rattler to a big NIL deal a lot of OU fans would be saying the same thing they are saying now. Turned out he was not the second coming afteral. You just never know.
Also big money at a young age will be a distraction to some players, most probably are not mature to handle it but some probably will have no trouble with it. At any rate I feel OU can and will still compete very well. We may not win another NC in my lifetime, I am 55 and if we don't thats fine, not that it doesn't matter to me, its just not high on my priority list anymore. I think if and when we do it will probably be a Season like 2000 where nobody would have ever predicted it happening. Will come out of the blue and surprise us all.

Will be interesting to see how this team responds after the loss last week, Coaching Staff as well. TCU is 3-0 and won't feel a bit sorry for us having lost last week. I expect a close game.

It ALL starts in the TRENCHES

To compete in the SEC, you have to have GREAT line play, with depth
Baker had a great oline when we played Georgia and a good dline. Riley lost that game, not the players.
OU, will have to stock up on good linemen, or we will not compete.

OSU, does it upfront
Clemson does it upfront

Lbs and DBs, get a whole lot better, when the front makes a push.
Qbs, fall to shit when they are running for their life. RBs, look great when they have a hole open up

I am a little behind you and Oklabama at 63 but like you I remember those NC seasons very well. Of those NC I have seen I have to admit the 2000 season was the most exciting one for me considering nobody, including myself would have ever thought OU would win one that quick under BS. 2000 was truely a magical season.

Switzer though will always be my favorite OU coach of all time despite his shortcomings that put the team on probation. I have never met the man but I would love to meet him just to talk to him for a very short time. I have met Steve Owens ( OU vs BU in Waco in the mid 90's) and I have never forgotten how polite he was to me and my family. My wife worked with his best friend from HS and she had him get me an autographed picture of Owens.

It is really sad that Stoops didn't bring OU another NC after 2000 but he did get them in positon to win another one in 2003, 2004 and 2008. OU could have been the Bama dynasty we are seeing today if they had just won 2 of those other 3 games. I still think OU was the better team in 03 and 08 but the monkey on the back just couldn't be shaken.

I think today the likelyhood of seeing OU win another NC is very slim but like you I will always bleed Crimson and Cream and watch them with the same passion I have always had for the Sooners. It doesn't mean I have to like the NIL system that I still believe will eventually destroy many fans love for the game of CFB.
Excellent post!

I have always believed there needs to be a yearly cap a player can earn through NIL or the schools will huge alumni money will start bringing home all the stud players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT