ADVERTISEMENT

Hello from VolNation

Nov 8, 2006
Not sure how much traffic the free board gets but thought I would post some info on the 2015 Vols for you guys.

I was not able to make it to Norman last season as my wife and I were expecting, but I heard great things. I hope those who make the trip to Knoxville enjoy. I hope our fans are welcoming and I anticipate that they will be. Really look forward to hearing what you guys think about Neyland Stadium and gameday in Knoxville.

I did this on the Iowa board last season, prior to the bowl game, and it was some good convo... Here is a break down of the 2015 Vols by position group. If someone wants to do one for OU that would be nice. Ill take it to VolQuest for the guys over there.

OFFENSE

QB: Josh Dobbs. He changed our season last year. I dont want to set up like a world beater, but the guy makes plays with both arm and legs and has Vol Nation excited. He makes some spectacular plays but sometimes struggles to make the routine plays. If he becomes more consistent and doesnt lose the ability to make big plays we will have a good season. It is cliche, but he makes the other 10 guys on the field look better.

RB: Jalen Hurd did nothing but get better as the season progressed last year. He is up to 240-245. I really like his game in that he is a one-cut runner, but he is a "jumbo all-purpose back" if you will... In fact, no freshman RB caught more passes than Jalen in 2014. I look for a big year from him. Alvin Kamara will provide a great compliment to Hurd. The former Bama RB was a 5* JuCo and is a perfect RB for Butch's system. He has not done it on the field yet but all signs point to him being really really good. After these two guys, we are uncomfortably thin at RB. If Dobbs, Hurd, anbd Kamara all stay healthy our rushing attack will be one of the better in college football.

WR: This group has a ton of potential but has not performed to that potential yet. Injuries have been an issue but guys like Marques North and Josh Malone have the tools to be go-to type WRs, but we havent seen that production yet. Pig Howard is probably our most productive WR even though he is probably the smallest in stature. Josh Smith was having a really great start to 2014 until he was hurt against OU last year... The key to this group is production, the potential is there but most of Vol Nation is taking a wait and see approach here.

TE: Former walk-on Alex Ellis is a solid player here. Ethan Wolfe has an NFL body and should have a really solid sophomore year.

OL: Cant be much worse than 2014, as OU saw first hand. Dobbs makes this group look better because the option action means something when he is in the game. We did not lose anyone from this group and added a very good freshman class. I think most Vol fans expect this group to be pretty decent in 2015, nothing special, but not the nightmare that was the early portion of 2014.

DEFENSE

DL: Curt Maggitt and Derek Barnett are special. They combined for something like 24 sacks in 2014. Barnett had 20+ tfl's to add to that. How well the big time freshmen acclimate at DT will be huge. Kahlil McKenzie and Shy Tuttle will play a lot of football this year. DL should be a strong point for us in 2015, depth is solid and talent is at a pretty high level.

LB: Jalen Reeves-Maybin will have a breakout season this year. He had a great sophomore year and all signs point to him being one of our best defenders this season. We need to find a MLB. Most think it will be Dillon Bates, Kenny Bynum, or perhaps freshman Darrin Kirkland Jr.

DB: Cam Sutton will go pro after this year. He is a really solid player. We are replacing our nickel back but most think that Rashaan Gaulden will do a great job there this season. The CB position opposite Sutton is up for grabs but there are several capable bodies to own the job. Juco Justin Martin could be the guy with the highest ceiling if he puts it together. At safety, we have a great mix of experience and talent. I anticipate all four guys playing quite a bit (Randolph, McNeil, Kelly Jr, Berry).

IMO, we win 7-9 games this year. We are much more talented than we have been in awhile. We also closed 2014 in very strong fashion. Staying healthy will be huge as depth is still somewhat of an issue. No idea how the OU game will go. I can say pretty confidently it will be a much more competitive match-up this season.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Welcome RockyTopRowdy. Looking forward to the game and wish I could experience the game first hand but I'll be traveling back to Oklahoma on the day of the game. Getting the wife up early so we can be home and get the car unloaded and be sitting in front of my 60" tv before kickoff. Should be an outstanding matchup.

Boomer Sooner

Not sure how much traffic the free board gets but thought I would post some info on the 2015 Vols for you guys.

I was not able to make it to Norman last season as my wife and I were expecting, but I heard great things. I hope those who make the trip to Knoxville enjoy. I hope our fans are welcoming and I anticipate that they will be. Really look forward to hearing what you guys think about Neyland Stadium and gameday in Knoxville.

I did this on the Iowa board last season, prior to the bowl game, and it was some good convo... Here is a break down of the 2015 Vols by position group. If someone wants to do one for OU that would be nice. Ill take it to VolQuest for the guys over there.

OFFENSE

QB: Josh Dobbs. He changed our season last year. I dont want to set up like a world beater, but the guy makes plays with both arm and legs and has Vol Nation excited. He makes some spectacular plays but sometimes struggles to make the routine plays. If he becomes more consistent and doesnt lose the ability to make big plays we will have a good season. It is cliche, but he makes the other 10 guys on the field look better.

RB: Jalen Hurd did nothing but get better as the season progressed last year. He is up to 240-245. I really like his game in that he is a one-cut runner, but he is a "jumbo all-purpose back" if you will... In fact, no freshman RB caught more passes than Jalen in 2014. I look for a big year from him. Alvin Kamara will provide a great compliment to Hurd. The former Bama RB was a 5* JuCo and is a perfect RB for Butch's system. He has not done it on the field yet but all signs point to him being really really good. After these two guys, we are uncomfortably thin at RB. If Dobbs, Hurd, anbd Kamara all stay healthy our rushing attack will be one of the better in college football.

WR: This group has a ton of potential but has not performed to that potential yet. Injuries have been an issue but guys like Marques North and Josh Malone have the tools to be go-to type WRs, but we havent seen that production yet. Pig Howard is probably our most productive WR even though he is probably the smallest in stature. Josh Smith was having a really great start to 2014 until he was hurt against OU last year... The key to this group is production, the potential is there but most of Vol Nation is taking a wait and see approach here.

TE: Former walk-on Alex Ellis is a solid player here. Ethan Wolfe has an NFL body and should have a really solid sophomore year.

OL: Cant be much worse than 2014, as OU saw first hand. Dobbs makes this group look better because the option action means something when he is in the game. We did not lose anyone from this group and added a very good freshman class. I think most Vol fans expect this group to be pretty decent in 2015, nothing special, but not the nightmare that was the early portion of 2014.

DEFENSE

DL: Curt Maggitt and Derek Barnett are special. They combined for something like 24 sacks in 2014. Barnett had 20+ tfl's to add to that. How well the big time freshmen acclimate at DT will be huge. Kahlil McKenzie and Shy Tuttle will play a lot of football this year. DL should be a strong point for us in 2015, depth is solid and talent is at a pretty high level.

LB: Jalen Reeves-Maybin will have a breakout season this year. He had a great sophomore year and all signs point to him being one of our best defenders this season. We need to find a MLB. Most think it will be Dillon Bates, Kenny Bynum, or perhaps freshman Darrin Kirkland Jr.

DB: Cam Sutton will go pro after this year. He is a really solid player. We are replacing our nickel back but most think that Rashaan Gaulden will do a great job there this season. The CB position opposite Sutton is up for grabs but there are several capable bodies to own the job. Juco Justin Martin could be the guy with the highest ceiling if he puts it together. At safety, we have a great mix of experience and talent. I anticipate all four guys playing quite a bit (Randolph, McNeil, Kelly Jr, Berry).

IMO, we win 7-9 games this year. We are much more talented than we have been in awhile. We also closed 2014 in very strong fashion. Staying healthy will be huge as depth is still somewhat of an issue. No idea how the OU game will go. I can say pretty confidently it will be a much more competitive match-up this season.

Welcome Rowdy. I think this game is a pivotal game for OU and will determine our season. If we win I think we go on to a 10 -11 win season if we lose I'm afraid the wheels may fall off of any confidence we may have going into the season and we may be looking at a 4 loss season. One thing I do know is that the game last year in Norman should have been a lot worse beating. Our offense will be much improved this year with an actual real offensive coordinator but our defense is suspect and IMO very fragile. As an OU fan of over 45 years my gut tells me we are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Last year my gut was telling me that we were over rated and over confident and it turned out to be true. The Sooners will be ready to play in Knoxville. I sure wish I could be there to see a game in Neyland.

Welcome Rowdy. I think this game is a pivotal game for OU and will determine our season. If we win I think we go on to a 10 -11 win season if we lose I'm afraid the wheels may fall off of any confidence we may have going into the season and we may be looking at a 4 loss season. One thing I do know is that the game last year in Norman should have been a lot worse beating. Our offense will be much improved this year with an actual real offensive coordinator but our defense is suspect and IMO very fragile. As an OU fan of over 45 years my gut tells me we are going to surprise a lot of people this year. Last year my gut was telling me that we were over rated and over confident and it turned out to be true. The Sooners will be ready to play in Knoxville. I sure wish I could be there to see a game in Neyland.

Not going to pretend to know much about OU. Care to lend some info on why you think your offense will be better? (Other than having a new OC) I have read some concerns about the QB position and OT. RB should be better with a soph Perine and Mixon on the field.

To the point of last years game being worse for Tennessee... It could have been. But by the same token, if the game were played in week 10 instead of week 3, it could have been a lot closer. Our defense got better as the year progressed and Dobbs completely changed the offense.

Not going to pretend to know much about OU. Care to lend some info on why you think your offense will be better? (Other than having a new OC) I have read some concerns about the QB position and OT. RB should be better with a soph Perine and Mixon on the field.

To the point of last years game being worse for Tennessee... It could have been. But by the same token, if the game were played in week 10 instead of week 3, it could have been a lot closer. Our defense got better as the year progressed and Dobbs completely changed the offense.

Last year we only had one receiver that was worth a dime and this year we will have 3-4. (Shepard, Westbrook, Andrews, Mixon coming out of the backfield) Perine back with a years experience under his belt. Offensive lineman are somewhat an unknown but many have at least some experience and we do have one of the best Olineman coaches in Bedenbaugh so we have faith that he will get the job done with the Oline. QB play will be much better IMO because this offense is not as complicated for the QB. I know this is a question mark but simply my opinion as an avid OU fan that the QB play will be better and I think Knight will be the starting QB and they will turn him loose to run more this year because of the quality Backup in Mayfield. Mayfield may be the starter but my gut feeling is it will be Knight. The #1 reason why our offense will be better is because we have a real OC in Riley. They guy did wonders at ECU and our talent is much deeper than ECU. The players are all talking about how they love this offense and can't wait to run it and surprise people. I appreciate Heupel for his time here as a player and QB coach but he was not ready for primetime as OC at a bigtme program as OU. The only thing that I am a little hesitant is that the TN game is only the second of the season and it may take a little time for the new offense to gel but I think we have enough weapons on offense to be SCARY good. Now defense is a crap shoot and it won't surprise me to have games that we win 41-34 etc. but I'm sure trying to be optimistic about the defense but I think we are a couple years away from getting back to a good defense. I think great defenses are a dying breed with the way offenses are nowadays.

I've always liked Tennessee and I hope you guys get back to elite status in the sec but just after we are done playing this year:)

Gotrings I disagree. Right now we have one proven WR and our qb situation is still unresolved. Our oline will be average at best IMO

Reactions: BillyRay
Gotrings I disagree. Right now we have one proven WR and our qb situation is still unresolved. Our oline will be average at best IMO
I hear ya Yankees but I got to be optimistic about something and it sure ain't the defense! HA! It's the kinder, gentler Rings this year. At least until that first loss! :mad:

Seriously though I think Mixon out of the backfield will be a big weapon. The QB will get the ball out of their hands quicker and I think this helps either of the QB's. Like I said the biggest reason I'm optimistic is Lincoln Riley. I think our offense will roll, I just hope they have it going by the Tennessee game. I think we are rolling by the RRR.

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

Vols have Zero chance to win 9 games.... I don't see why the Vols are getting so much talk because you are at least 2 years away. Wait that's what you guys have been saying for 10 years lol

The thing that encourages Sooner fans about the O are more subtle than simply rating the O-line or the WR's. When OU decided to switch from the spread to the "Nevada Pistol" they envisioned Trevor Knight being the next Johnny Manzel. Unfortunately, TK was limited by the staff to ineffective zone reads with his running threat minimized. Add the fact that our very best receiver by a long shot went down mid-season and TK's vulnerability to injury, not to mention his propensity to throw to the opponent in critical situations, & our O became totally dependent on the power running of Perine. The result was a one-dimensional O that strung together 3 & outs like shut out innings on a score board. This put incredible pressure on our D which was young and frankly, poorly schemed. In the Big 12, playing D is a real crap shoot. You have to try and slow these high-powered O's between the 20's and hold them to FG's inside the RZ. When you are continually put back on the field after repeated 3 & outs, the dam will finally burst.

The O this year will not have a zone read as a main aspect. There will be no looking to the sidelines to select a play based on the way the D is lined up. The passing scheme is predicated on getting the ball out quickly to WR's who have the ability to dazzle in open space. The return of Sterling Shepherd and the addition of DeDe Westbrook plus the development of some other highly recruited WR's should allow our passing game to flourish but unlike our early days in the spread under Leach, we have an incredible stable of RB's who can take the load off the aerial game. Riley's O at ECU was far more balanced than one might expect and I look for a balance at OU that will be reminiscent of the 2008 O with Sam Bradford handing the ball to DeMarco Murray and passing to the likes of Jermaine Gresham.

Our O-line should be fine although I am not sure it will be where it needs to be by the second game of the season. Both tackles have a lot of game experience and one has started on more than one occasion. We return 2 starters in Darlington (C) and Kasitati (G). LG Jamal Danleyis a highly rated JC transfer. As has been mentioned before, our O-line coach has consistently produced excellent O-lines and this one, while maybe not quite as good as last year, should be well above average. The average size 6'5"/305lbs is indicative of the usual athleticism of an Oklahoma O-line.

For the record, I believe TK will start @ QB and baring injury, I believe he will excel.

Not talking trash just stating my opinion. The Vols offense will always be good under Jones but the D will be average at best. I just don't see you winning more than 7 games.

We finished 36th in the nation in total defense last season. We only lost 3 of our top 22 defensive players. Most think that we will be better on defense this season. MLB is the only legitimate question mark, IMO.

This, coupled with having the best QB in the SEC East (not hard to do this year), and other pretty solid playmakers on offense, is the reason that many think Tennessee could winup to 9 games.

I think there is cautious optimism based on 4 things; first, we have added two new D coaches, a secondary coach from ND & a D-line coach from Stanford (the D-line coaching situation is an addition by subtraction situation in that our great D-line coach and recruiter, Jerry Montgomery, was hired away by the Packers but the new guy comes with great credentials). Second, it appears that we are going back to the 4-3 scheme that the Stoops brothers are recognized experts at coaching and teaching (this probably means that our base D will be a 4-2-5 when we get into conference play). Third, Mike Stoops is moving from the sidelines to the press box. Finally, the flawed attempt to put Eric Striker in space last year has been jettisoned and Striker will now be used where his real strength is, as an LB coming off the edge.

Our front 7 should be stout and with the return of Frank Shannon to go with the outstanding talent we already have at the position, our LB's are as good a unit as we have had since the Rocky Calmus/Teddy Lehman days. The secondary remains a question mark but there is talent and we return a lot of experience. Our two losses, Julian Wilson and Quentin Hayes should be more than adequately replaced and besides Zac Sanchez, look for Steven Parker & JUCO transfer William Johnson to excel.

Its way too early to predict a starting D but it may look like this: DE's, Charles Tapper & D.J. Ward or Devante Bond; DT's Jordan Wade & Matt Romar; LB's Dom Alexander, Jordan Evans, Frank Shannon, & Eric Striker (Shannon is coming off a suspension so he may not start but he was the starter in 2013 so three of these 4 will be in there); CB's Johnson or Jordan Thomas & Zac Sanchez, & Safeties Ahmad Thomas & Steven Parker (Parker will be used a lot inside the box as a nickel with Hatari Byrd safety and also look for true freshman Kahlil Haughton to play.

Our only real question mark in the kicking game will be the punter. It appears it will be Jack Steed but he is a real unknown at this point. Highly recruited kicker Austin Seibert will handle the kickoff, PAT, & FG chores. Finally, Alex Ross will return kickoffs and he is on more than one pre-season awards list. Many consider him the premier kick returner in the nation and it appears that JUCO transfer and likely starting WR, DeDe Westbrook will return punts. He runs in the 4'2's and has been dazzling in summer 7/7 drills.

Honestly, after last year's debacle, I think most Sooner fans are taking a wait & see attitude about 2015. The implosion of the 2014 team after such high expectations was a real kick in the gut. We have talent but will they be schemed correctly? Finally, will a QB emerge who minimizes mistakes and controls the ball?

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Just to tack on to this thread. It is nice to get an update on OU's 2015 team. I'm hoping (obviously) that this year will make for a much better game. As I'm sure you all know, we were a different team once Josh Dobbs took over at QB. He will add another dimension that you guys didn't see last year.

Reactions: RockyTopRowdy58
We finished 36th in the nation in total defense last season. We only lost 3 of our top 22 defensive players. Most think that we will be better on defense this season. MLB is the only legitimate question mark, IMO.

This, coupled with having the best QB in the SEC East (not hard to do this year), and other pretty solid playmakers on offense, is the reason that many think Tennessee could winup to 9 games.
I like your home schedule but I have the Vols losing to Mizzou, Florida and Bama with Arkansas probably beating you at home. If Georgia can settle in at qb they should win the east pretty easily in my opinion

I like your home schedule but I have the Vols losing to Mizzou, Florida and Bama with Arkansas probably beating you at home. If Georgia can settle in at qb they should win the east pretty easily in my opinion

Very possible. As stated in my OP, I think its possible we win as few as 7 games.

The flip side of the argument is that Mizzou's very underwhelming recruiting classes will have to eventually catch up to them (they also just lost their best player for the year, Brantly DT), Florida should be terrible (we never beat them though so I plead the 5th there), and Arkansas is good but did not run the ball nearly as good against legitimate competition last year as opposed to lesser opponents.

And for UT/UGA match up we are 4 points away from being 2-0 vs them under Butch. Sour grapes, but we have played them to the wire the past 2 years and should be more of the same this year. Not predicting a W against UGA, but they do less with more than anyone in the country.

Last edited:
Very possible. As stated in my OP, I think its possible we win as few as 7 games.

The flip side of the argument is that Mizzou's very underwhelming recruiting classes will have to eventually catch up to them (they also just lost their best player for the year, Brantly DT), Florida should be terrible (we never beat them though so I plead the 5th there), and Arkansas is good but did not run the ball nearly as good against legitimate competition last year as opposed to lesser opponents.

And for UT/UGA match up we are 4 points away from being 2-0 vs them under Butch. Sour grapes, but we have played them to the wire the past 2 years and should be more of the same this year. Not predicting a W against UGA, but they do less with more than anyone in the country.
That first game against BG will be tough too.... They will score a lot of points and they are always coached up well

Objectively, I think we lose to Bama and UGA for sure. Mizzou is a solid team and coached well but they have lost a lot and on paper, they have sub par talent. However, on paper, they shouldn't have won the East in back to back years so we will see. As for UF, I think they have to opportunity to be a real dumpster fire. They return no starters on the O-Line and all they will have are scrubs and a very talented true freshman. One or two injuries and they will be in serious trouble.

I'm sure the Vols will win but it won't be a cake walk that's for sure

Well, the Vols are favored by 21 on 5 Dimes. Maybe you should make some cash!

Seriously though, it wouldn't surprise me for us to really struggle in that game or blow them out 52 - 10.

Maybe so but if they score 20 (that are not junk points) on the Vols, then a lot of Tennessee fans will be ready to jump off a bridge.
I'm very intrigued by this game now since Ou is the following week. I just can't see the Vols fired up to play BG. It's a tough spot with your season on the line the following week

I'm very intrigued by this game now since Ou is the following week. I just can't see the Vols fired up to play BG. It's a tough spot with your season on the line the following week

It's opening weekend at an NFL stadium in Nashville. I'm pretty sure our guys will be fired up for it.

ADVERTISEMENT