ADVERTISEMENT

Five Sooners will decide to leave or return next year....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
WR Mims
OL Harrison
OL Mettauer
DB Washington
DL Redmond
All could use another year at OU, but my guess is 1 or 2 stay, whom I hope are Harrison and Mims.
I think of the 5, Harrison is most likely to leave.
Mims is not an elite receiver, at least by OU standards, but he's important given the depth shortage of proven receivers.
I believe Gabriel returns and I hope he does.
Whatever happens, I see lots of this year's freshman and the 2023 class playing an important role next season as Venables' recruits start to take over OU's football fortune.

Only Harrison will probably have a chance to get drafted in the first 3 rounds. It would be nice to keep them all for depth and experience. DG will be back 100%, he had nowhere else to go. I just hope Jackson gets a chance to play as a freshman. Also hope Evers plans on staying.

Not much NFL promise this year from the Sooners. Gray has shown some upside with the help of Murray. Stoops gritty but not a burner. Willis a good blocker and size, but has dropped/fumbled too often like Mims. Harrison also far too mistake prone. These would be it for anyone remotely making mid to late rounds.

Of all those, my guess is Redmond goes. Mims has too many wide open BAD drops this year the scouts will focus on. He's 5th round or worse. Really needs to change the narrative with another year.

Grimes could also try to go pro. Started hot then disappeared, so he's looking at the same lower rounds should he declare

Harrison would be the only guy going 2nd round or earlier. I assume he's got 1 more game as a Sooner as he'll likely skip the bowl.

Redmond has been through a lot and doesn't have much to gain by returning other than what the team may accomplish. So he'll likely go.

Mims is sitting around 10th over all for WR prospects and even with a good combine isn't likely to climb higher than late 2nd round. But after seriously considering a transfer a year ago nothing would surprise me, including returning to college but at another university, which I fear is coming.

Mettauer needs a second year with Coach B which I believe he'll return for.

Woodi has NFL measuables and could probably be persuaded with a 2nd round draft grade. Unfortunately I believe he goes.

I think Brent will have a hard time getting Riley's recruits to stick around for their own good. These young men have been through it with Riley's departure and I think most will try their hand at the next level. I know there was a lot of "they bought in" once Brent arrive but after such a disappointing season I'm not sure they'll stick around for the rebuild. Which is unfortunate because if 4 of 5 were to return, Oklahoma would have the foundation for a major turn around in 2023.

WR Mims
OL Harrison
OL Mettauer
DB Washington
DL Redmond
All could use another year at OU, but my guess is 1 or 2 stay, whom I hope are Harrison and Mims.
I think of the 5, Harrison is most likely to leave.
Mims is not an elite receiver, at least by OU standards, but he's important given the depth shortage of proven receivers.
I believe Gabriel returns and I hope he does.
Whatever happens, I see lots of this year's freshman and the 2023 class playing an important role next season as Venables' recruits start to take over OU's football fortune.
Mims needs another year yet he may leave since Gabriel will likely be the starter again next year. Mims hasn’t had the year that he was expected to have. Also, maybe it’s just me, but I always thought he had breakaway speed. Obviously I was mistaken. Regardless, I would like for him to stay around.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Mims needs another year yet he may leave since Gabriel will likely be the starter again next year. Mims hasn’t had the year that he was expected to have. Also, maybe it’s just me, but I always thought he had breakaway speed. Obviously I was mistaken. Regardless, I would like for him to stay around.

Mims has yet to really tap into his potential yet has still been a pretty damn good receiver. He's had a different QB throwing him the ball every season. Think of the number of times Gabriel has launched the ball over his head when he beat his man deep and would have walked into the end zone. He needs another season but I have this nagging fear he may finish his career as a Trojan.

Rumors are Worthy is transferring to USC.

• Sad
Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT