ADVERTISEMENT

First Half Observations

Indy_Sooner22

Gold Member
Nov 28, 2021
Hi All, just some quick first half thoughts. It’s been about a year since I’ve posted…take it easy on me 😃

1. Can we please scrap the JA “wildcat” package? Reiterating what has been said by many on this board, but he is not Blake Bell or a particularly physical downhill runner. Just a terrible misuse of his skillset and a head-scratching set of calls in the red zone. You’ve got Tawee, Major, Barnes, and two
6’4 receivers on the edge…use them! I have no problem giving JA a couple series each half, but let him run the full offense and utilize his running ability on the edges as opposed to strictly between tackles.

2. The run game is concerning. Gabe Ikard has talked about it at length, but this gap scheme stuff just doesn’t have any spacing for our backs to make plays. Everything is congested and tight between tackles. Sexton and Green have plenty of physical tools, but the fundamentals are obviously lagging (as to be expected for young guys). Can’t rely exclusively on the explosive downfield passing game once conference play starts. Lastly, Barnes just doesn’t have that same pop that I saw last year. I know he’s been battling injuries, but just looks stiff and a step slow. Doesn’t help that he’s struggling to find the open lane with this scheme. I think he’s more of a decisive, one-cut back.

3. I think we all underrated our talent and playmaking at WR. Anthony and Farooq are dangerous. Gibson and Anderson have big play ability. Stoops is as reliable as they come. Very impressed with Coach Jones and this unit.

4. Our defense looks like they’ve never seen boot and three level floods. Really struggling with zone coverage. Obviously the coverage bust with Vickers is glaring, but the our zone coverages need to improve as a whole. Pretty sure Pearson simply just got beat on the out and up route. Does not seem like we have set the edge as well as we have the previous two games.

5. Not breaking any news here, but Stutsman is a dude. Got stiff armed in the open field once and looked like he missed a fit and overran his gap early in the game, but outside of a couple plays he’s been lights out. Side to side speed is phenomenal and he really is a tremendous blitzer.

Here’s to a good second half!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News