ADVERTISEMENT

ERIN MILLER'S B7 homer wins it. OU comes from behind to beat A&M, 7-5.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
The Aggies lead off hitter, Vidales, went yard. The game was moved to ESPN because of a rain delay elsewhere. Sooners will have their work cut out for them.

The wind is blowing out hard. Self had some problems reading the homer, which barely cleared the fence. It looked like an easy fly off the bat, but carried out.

Last edited:
Chamberlain got a pop up single because the A&M outfield was playing her deep. Pendley popped to first. Parker flew out to center. Miller walked on four pitches. Self lined to left to drive in Chamberlain. Second and third after an overthrow at home. Casey lined a single to right, scoring Self. First and third, two outs. Wodach struck out swinging. 2-1 OU.

Outfield misplay cost the Sooners two. Aggies' sixth place hitter went way out to center. Then with two on and two outs, Vidales hit a liner to center that went over little Pendley's head for a two run double.

Parker is on the ropes. The wind blowing out makes it hard to control the change up. And the zone has alternated from large to not. Maybe a few nerves. This game might be a big run which would be tough on the Sooners. A&M is a big hit, not great defense team.

4-2 Aggies after an inning and a half.

Last edited:
Aggies got another solo homer after a very close 2-2 pitch called a ball. Parker is up to 62 pitches after three in the circle. The wind is affecting her doubly. Her control is eratic and she has had more way off the plate misses than usually in a whole game. A&M's offense with the wind blowing out is a handful. They have four or five who can hit it long. Three already have. It will take eight to win.

Sooners go quietly in B3. A two out error on a dropped throw made self the only base runner, but Casey's drive to right center is flagged down for the third out. First half inning with a 0.

With two outs, Vidales ripped a single to left. She's a triple away from the cycle. Then after a single to right, their number three hitter, Lanphier popped to third. No runs, two hits. Still 5-3 Aggies.

Controversial call goes against OU. Little Pendley originally ruled safe after avoiding a tag running to first but then called out for out of the base line after an ump conference. So instead of first and third with one out, it was Ellis at third with two outs. She had doubled. Chamberlain bounced to short. 5-3 A&M.

--------------------

Aggies go in order in T5. Sooners bat trailing 5-3.

Aggies get a lead walk, but nothing happens. Parker got Vidales out on a nubber back to the circle. Headed to B6, Sooner down two.

Casey's home run to left cuts the lead to 5-4. No other baserunners.

If the Sooners can hold, they'll have Pendley, Chamberlain and Pendley in the seventh.

Sooners got a clear break in T7. A&M's Lanphier clearly beat out a bunt at first but was called out. So they went in order. Sooners batting in B7. If they are to get out of the regional, they'll need to score here. A&M changes pitchers.

N Pendley walked. Chamberlain popped to right on a 3-1 pitch. Shelby Pendley drilled a single past second and Nicole goes to third then scores when the throw goes into the OU dugout. Shelby to second, and by rule, I believe should have been at third. And it started raining. Parker struck out swinging on three pitches. Rain stopped. Erin MIller hits it over the foul pole. Sooners win 7-5.

Somehow, I just didn't expect the walk-off HR by Erin.

OU survived.

Georgia lost 2-1 to Western Kentucky in 14.
LSU lost 1-0 to Arizona State, almost the reverse type of game from the one we lost. ASU may get the opportunity to eliminate LSU for the sixth time in 14 years.

BTW, I thought Miller's shot was foul. We didn't get a good look. The 1b umpire was at second with a runner there and two outs. So it was HP's call.

The big thing in the SEC day is how the KU, Mizzou game goes in the Border War. Jayhawks lead 3-2 in B3, but left the bases loaded in T3. Texas isn't likely to come back on UCLA, down 4-1 with one at bat left in T7. UCLA is threatening for more.

Baylor will have their hands full at ULaLa. KU is the XII's best chance for a second regional finalist. Baylor is a little like OU. Their pitching depth would make trying to come out of the losers' bracket a tough task. They're dealing with a lot of rain in Lafayette.

The SEC has some teams that can hit. But, their fielding can cost them games. A&M made three costly errors, and should have had more. When they seeded these teams, they apparently ignored their errors. In fielding percentage:

#61 A&M
#113 Florida State (I know they are ACC, but they are a 7 or 8 seed)
#114 Tennessee
#134 LSU
#150 Arizona
#156 Georgia
#163 Missouri

All, except A&M, seeded in the top 16.

I disagree about the fielding deficiencies in the SEC generally. LSU is not a good fielding team. But against their pitching, we did the same thing we did today. Most anybody can catch the ball in the air. Fly balls don't take bad hops. OU makes too many easy outs on pops and flies.

A&M is also a questionable fielding team, which is part of why they were below .500 in conference games.

But except for LSU, most of the top SEC teams play very good defense. Not too sure about Auburn,, who won the conference tournament. But Bama, Florida and UTenn are very good defensively. Love Tennessee's catcher. Mizzou is pretty solid defensively usually. Haven't seen them much this year.

I'm really glad to see LSU in the losers' bracket. And UGa after what 14 innings? That will make game three today tough to play. It looked for a while like Longwood was going to beat VaTech another overrated ACC team, but the Hokies came from down 4-0 to tie. They aren' t going to be advancing. FSU needed two in the seventh to win 2-1 over a CFU team with a really good pitcher. Not sure why the right field was so far off the line on the winning double.

Whomever survives to play OU tomorrow, is going to use up some pitching this afternoon. I'd love to play Lehigh.

A&M was up 4-0 when the threatening lightning caused a stoppage. They won't finish the game until Sunday, whenever that starts. So who knows when OU will start. It will be on ESPN3 online so you can watch it. I don't know how to tape it on my computer though, so I hope it shows up somewhere. My guess is that if A&M holds on, OU will be on somewhere. If Lehigh comes back, then you better have your computer handy.

I'm assuming that the heavy rain tonight will make for a long night for some in the maintenance crew getting the field ready to play Sunday.

Down south 200 miles in Dallas, the rain isn't supposed to start until after 2 a.m. So who knows how long it's going to last in Norman. It's all one very long line of storms.

Texas is out. They gave up a lead in the sixth and the seventh and got beat in the ninth or tenth, all on solo homers. Their pitchers looked pretty average.

Kansas a three seed in their bracket advanced to the regional finals and will have to beat Mizzou twice. They led the Tigers 3-2 halfway through the winners bracket finals, but lost 5-3.

Baylor has worse weather in Lafayette than is going on in Norman. They had hard rain in the second game of the day, the losers' bracket survival, so they don't even know who they'll play to get a chance to go play ULaLa hopefully twice. The hosts have two quality pitchers and Baylor seems to really have only one. And ULL has a packed lineup, especially with the home cooking they seem to get in their home stadium.

I'd be shocked if Baylor advances, but you never know.

We advanced. Paige showed the Aggies that she can pitch well. They couldn't touch her rise ball today, and it was in the strike zone. Three-hit shutout. 2-0.

Alabama may be the hottest team right now. They won three-run ruled games, I think. Just a week ago, they lost in the first round of the SEC.

Well, the ESPN contract is with SEC. Updating OU or Big Ten scores would be like Coke advertising for Pepsi. They want only their product on the air.

Well, the ESPN contract is with SEC. Updating OU or Big Ten scores would be like Coke advertising for Pepsi. They want only their product on the air.
yeah it is sad...seeding and all. I just hope the team takes Bama out quickly. Well ok, just 2 wins.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I don't know what to expect from Bama. They may run-rule a team today and be run-ruled by that same team tomorrow. They lost at home to Louisiana---not LSU, Louisiana. They took two of three from A&M in Tuscaloosa, run-ruling A&M 13-0 and losing 5-11. They beat Auburn 13-3 and lost to them the next day 13-12. They blow hot and cold, losing to some unlikely teams.

Alabama has three pitchers that they use and a couple of them are pretty good. Their blowout wins this weekend are mostly because they got taken care of in the bracket. And they can play pretty solid defense. But when you're giving up a lot of runs, it can be for a lot of reasons.

OU's offense seems to only post big numbers when the other team's defense helps out. OUr lineup can be murder with an extra out in an inning. Although A&M gave us a lot of chances and mostly, we didn't take advantage. A big factor in the game today is that one of OUr best hitters had a horrible day. Katie Self left eight runners on base in her first three at bats, all with two outs. Then in her fourth grounded into a double play with first and second and no outs, wrecking a chance for a big inning. The first three times through the batting order, our six, seven, eight and nine hitters had one hit in 12 plate appearances.

Nicole Pendley has struggled since teams have a book on how to pitch to her. And the XII just didn't have great pitching to face at all.

One XII team failed to make the regional final. Texas.
One XII team got to the regional final, but didn't make the if game.
One XII team, Baylor, made the regional final and the if game, but got soundly beaten in game seven.

Only OU made it to the Supers. It's not a coincidence that a whole lot of home teams advanced. Only the 15th and 16th seeds didn't make it, and that was mostly because ND and James Madison didn't deserve to be seeded. It's a crime that Baylor had to go on the road.

Of the top 11 seeds, only LSU a five seed advanced with a loss. They along with Georgia, a 14 seed, advanced after losing their second game, then winning three straight. Arizona, a 12 seed, lost game 6 on Sunday, but won game 7 to advance to the Supers.

We're going to hear a lot of trumpeting about the SEC winning all these regionals, but only one, Kentucky, wasn't at home and Kentucky was in the South Bend regional where Notre Dame lost their first game to Ball State, a regional four seed in the four team bracket. Baylor would have won that regional easily. And Kansas might have. They ended up getting the finals, but lost game six to Mizzou, 7-6. They lost game 3 to Mizzou in a tight game after leading early.

Half of the teams in the Supers are SEC teams and all but three are playing at home.

North Carolina State and 9 seed Florida State are the only two teams from the ACC who made the Supers. NC State got a breeze of a region as the only Power Five conference team in their region. James Madison was the host and they didn't even make the finals. Fordham did, Binghamton was the other team. Maybe some AD from Raleigh was on the bracket committee.

Florida won game six in their region, 1-0 over Florida Atlantic in extra innings. The other teams in their region were Hofstra and Florida A&M, who is horrible.

The Sooners will have their work cut out for them in Tuscaloosa. Alabama might be peaking. The view depends on how good you think Washington is. The Tide run ruled them twice. I still believe that if the Sooner pull it off, they'd have a good bracket in OKC, but getting there will be a challenge, thanks to the bracketeers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT