ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think we cheat\break the rules on the NCAA rules?

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
It's pretty common knowledge that the SEC has some ghosts in the closets as far as breaking the rules. Can you say Cam Newton? Baylor and TCU are making some huge headways while Texas and OU slides.

Just a question to ponder during the off season. Responses welcome.

BTW, I don't believe we do.............

Well, we do have a pretty bad track record with rules violations in more than one sport. And we have paid a heavy price for those indiscretions. Although I do believe that a lot of that has been cleaned up since the Big Red fiasco, I am not so naive to think that there are no longer instances where "impermissible benefits" are being given to OU student atheletes. Just like the $100 handhakes in Austin and everywhere else where big time college sports are played.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Well, we do have a pretty bad track record with rules violations in more than one sport. And we have paid a heavy price for those indiscretions. Although I do believe that a lot of that has been cleaned up since the Big Red fiasco, I am not so naive to think that there are no longer instances where "impermissible benefits" are being given to OU student atheletes. Just like the $100 handhakes in Austin and everywhere else where big time college sports are played.
OU has been in the NCAA dog house several times throughout my lifetime, but I think Stoops has done well keeping OU clean as far as NCAA rules go. But there is not much OU can do to keep an overzealous booster from slipping money, cars, jobs or women under the table to OU's athletes. What some boosters have done off the field has been far damaging to OU than losing games on Saturdays.
Then there are players with baggage that come into the program and cause PR headaches for the team and the university. I would like to see OU do a better job of scrutinizing the character and maturity level of its recruits. That may seem like an impossibility, but in the last few years, OU has dealt with too many "bad apples".
OU will lose enough players due to injury each season. It doesn't need to lose more with suspensions, or expulsions.

To answer the OP question, Yes, I do think we break rules. I don't think the coaches are wantonly building slush funds and doling out benefits based on performance.
But I think there are things happening that are against NCAA rules. Think about it. If you are tailgating at a football game and a basketball player happens by and stops to visit, if you give him (or her) a Coke or bag of potato chips, NCAA rules have been broken. I'm not naïve enough to think a Coke or bag of chips is the worst thing happening. Just pointing out how easy it is to innocently break NCAA rules.

ADVERTISEMENT