ADVERTISEMENT

DC ??

coeSooner81

Sooner signee
Oct 10, 2014
I know all the focus is on the OC right now, but with the OL, RB, and WR coach more than likely staying put the offense will be fine. What we need is a new DC, with Elko taking the A@m job, I could see Duke reach out to Jim Leonhard to be their DC. This is a guy I wish DV would go after to be OUr new DC.

Not saying this offend anyone on this site, but if Riley could be OC and HC, why couldn't BV be DC and HC?

Not saying this offend anyone on this site, but if Riley could be OC and HC, why couldn't BV be DC and HC?
I thought BV was already doing that? At the very least he did say he is more involved in it this yr. If Roof truly is running it then it explains a lot on why it hasn't gotten a whole lot better. As I said a couple weeks ago, this defense regressed after the texass game and the last 2 games they were gashed making 2 bad teams look like world beaters.

All the “that a boys” after the RRR game did not carry through. To be a great defense, there should not be backsliding. We did not play a tough schedule at all. BV has to move on with Roof. I really wonder if he is Brent’s church buddy or something. Sure injuries did not put us in a good spot, but we had depth. Blowing the defensive call at end of KU game and during the OSU game was inexcusable. DBs looked like the 3 Stooges.

We finished #80 in total D: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p2

That's a marginal improvement from last year but still sucks. I see Venables coaching the D players up constantly - Roof is doing what?
That's true. But we also have an offense that when it's going bad is giving the other team lots of time with the ball. And when it's going good, it often does the same. I think our defense needs to improve. But I think we're a lot better than the 80th best defense in the country. It's just the way we play offense, skews our defense's stats more than a little.

Reactions: CTOkie
That's true. But we also have an offense that when it's going bad is giving the other team lots of time with the ball. And when it's going good, it often does the same. I think our defense needs to improve. But I think we're a lot better than the 80th best defense in the country. It's just the way we play offense, skews our defense's stats more than a little.

The cold, hard facts are that Lincoln Riley/Alex Grinch put defenses on the field that finished higher than 80th in four out of five years: 67th (2017), 114th (2018), 64th (2019), 29th (2020), and 76th (2021).

I don't care what type of offense you run, there's no excuse for an elite team to have a defense outside of the top 50.

Last edited:
I thought BV was already doing that? At the very least he did say he is more involved in it this yr. If Roof truly is running it then it explains a lot on why it hasn't gotten a whole lot better. As I said a couple weeks ago, this defense regressed after the texass game and the last 2 games they were gashed making 2 bad teams look like world beaters.
The fact that Roof is on staff suggests he is playing a part. I do not believe he is just there to do media interviews pre and post game. I'm sure BV is playing a significant role, I wish he could do more.

The fact that Roof is on staff suggests he is playing a part. I do not believe he is just there to do media interviews pre and post game.

It seems to be a mystery to everyone except BV. Who knows, maybe Roof is responsible for getting the coffee and breakfast burritos in the morning.

The fact that Roof is on staff suggests he is playing a part. I do not believe he is just there to do media interviews pre and post game. I'm sure BV is playing a significant role, I wish he could do more.
He was a Defensive Analyst at Clempsun while Brent was there, probably brought in by BV. He must have done something there for Brent to bring him to OU as DC at his first HC gig.

Reactions: iasooner2000
He was a Defensive Analyst at Clempsun while Brent was there, probably brought in by BV. He must have done something there for Brent to bring him to OU as DC at his first HC gig.m
There must be something about him that makes people allow him more tolerance. His record as a head coach at Duke was 6-45 from 2003-2007.....6-45 with season records of 2-3, 2-9, 1-10, 0-12, 1-11. He's held 12 jobs before coming to OU. Oh, and in August 2023, he made it perfectly clear that he was making all the defensive calls at OU.

Last edited:
I wonder if Zach Arnett would take another DC job after being a head coach. Miss State still owes him around 4.5 million. Roof makes 1.15/yr. Arnett has proven to be a great DC. MSU has had a top 3 defense in the SEC, hes coached both linebackers and safeties. At least get him in as an analyst. I would also go after Jimbo Fischer or Dana Holgorsen as an offensive analyst. Saban goes after those guys that were just fired, it seems to work for him.

I believe what basically happened was that after half a season, it was determined that Jaran Kanak's inexperience at linebacker was hurting the defense. He was an athete with little experience at any position on defense. Kip Lewis had been making plays, especially on the goal line defense. So they gave him a shot. And he still made some plays. But almost instantly, BV started talking about the problem with fits on the defense, mostly at linebacker.

Now that was close to the same time when Stutsman missed a game and a half on defense. But it seems like the fit problem had a lot to do with Lewis. His instincts are way better than Kanak's. But as a freshman, he was not close to mastering what the position requires in BV's complex defense. A reminder, this was a similar complaint that we heard over a decade ago, when Brent left. That his defense was so complicated, that defenders had problems going full speed.

This defense can work grandly. In 2004, the defense worked so well, that we gave Texas last loss, before a 21-games win streak en route to the 2005 national championship keyed by the overwhelming play of Vince Young. And that was a 12-0 shutout of the Horns.

But eight games later, was the most embarrassing loss of the 21st century. Remember 55-19? I've tried to forget. BV's defense is the kind of defense with which you can can win national championships. But the players have to understand the complexities. It takes time. Now one of the things it takes is an LB coach who can teach these guys the defense completely. BV was great at that at Clemson. And they built a collection of great defensive talent to pull it off.

I don't know if Roof can be that guy. If he's not, BV has so difficult decisions to make. He knows a whole lot more about what it takes than any of us do. But finding the right guy, if it's not Roof, would set us back a coupla more seasons, I suspect.

The one overarching issue is our defense has regressed. Whether it is due to injury\personnel changes or coaching override by BV, something is amiss. I don't blame the defense entirely for the lackluster back half of the season. Our running game has been suspect except for the QB until relatively recently. However, we are getting gashed too often.

Hopefully that changes with a solid bowl win
I'm not sure bowl wins are what they used to be. A lot of the time the team in the bowl is a shell of the one that played the regular season due to players not playing for various reasons. If we played SC without Caleb Williams then obviously that would be a totally different team. Can't get too excited about it anymore

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT