ADVERTISEMENT

Bowman’s injury

Here we go with another special teams related injury. Have Coaches not learned from past injuries ? All the players on the bench and they use the starting safety? It just floors me that they fail to remember the past...CeeDee...DeMarco...Broyles.

Reactions: loopafied68
Here we go with another special teams related injury. Have Coaches not learned from past injuries ? All the players on the bench and they use the starting safety? It just floors me that they fail to remember the past...CeeDee...DeMarco...Broyles.

I see both sides. A big special teams play can flip momentum quickly. Think RRR 2008. That was Texas' best receiver taking it to the house that changed the game.

Remember when we lost DeMarco Murray on a kick off return in Big 12 play and he was out for the Florida national title game...ugh

Remember when we lost DeMarco Murray on a kick off return in Big 12 play and he was out for the Florida national title game...ugh

Yes that kind of was a REAL bad setback. Chris Brown was a good back, but DeMarco was a game changer guy. Hope Bowman will be out there soon. He is still learning the game, so any time out is detrimental at this point.

Yes that kind of was a REAL bad setback. Chris Brown was a good back, but DeMarco was a game changer guy. Hope Bowman will be out there soon. He is still learning the game, so any time out is detrimental at this point.
Oh quit. Shit happens. You have to play your best players and take your chances. I always want the best players on the field. Don’t ever want to play with the lesser team. Screw that.

I see both sides. A big special teams play can flip momentum quickly. Think RRR 2008. That was Texas' best receiver taking it to the house that changed the game.
On the other hand, the best team OU has had since 2000, lost the national championship, because on the opening kickoff of the blowout win over Mizzou in the 2008 Big XII Title Game in KC, they lost Demarco Murray to a leg injury. We still scored 60 on the Tigers, but without him against the Gators, were held to by far the lowest point total of the season.

It also didn't help that we started OUr third team Mike linebacker, who'd played little all season after another two injuries, but that had nothing to do with special teams. That game started the decline, from being a real NC contender every season. We've had a few great offenses since, but that started a downward trend. When Sam got hurt in the season opener, as the reigning Heisman winner, we've been close, but not made the finals.

On the other hand, the best team OU has had since 2000, lost the national championship, because on the opening kickoff of the blowout win over Mizzou in the 2008 Big XII Title Game in KC, they lost Demarco Murray to a leg injury. We still scored 60 on the Tigers, but without him against the Gators, were held to by far the lowest point total of the season.

It also didn't help that we started OUr third team Mike linebacker, who'd played little all season after another two injuries, but that had nothing to do with special teams. That game started the decline, from being a real NC contender every season. We've had a few great offenses since, but that started a downward trend. When Sam got hurt in the season opener, as the reigning Heisman winner, we've been close, but not made the finals.
My take on that 24-14 loss to Florida was, aside from Murray's absence, the failure of OU to score twice inside the red zone in the first half.... and not using Germaine Gresham, whom I considered an almost unstoppable weapon inside the 10 yard line. I thought it was some questionable play calling by OU as it squandered two scores and could have had as much as a 21-7 lead at halftime.
OU held Florida to its lowest point total of the year, which given UF's 611 points that season, was remarkable.

Reactions: iasooner2000

2017 I’d put with any of those teams. 2015 close too. 2017 tho to me could prob beat 2008. So don’t act like it’s been gloom and doom since 2008. 2017 had a natty locked if Riley didn’t pucker up with the ball and 4 min left in Q4. 1, maybe 2 first downs it was over. Baker would have rolled that Bama defense

I was there in frigid KC, DeMarco took a helmet to his knee on the Opening kickoff. Very unfortunate and unnecessary
CT is correct, Gresham should have gotten at least one of those in for 6

I've acknowledged both hands. A negative example was provided so I gave a positive.

Special teams is 1/3 of the game. If you're not willing to take some risks with those units you're surrendering a chunk of the game.

Of course you're right. It's part of the reason that Bob coached OU's only nc team since 1985. In the 2001 RRR, Roy Williams made the Superman play, then made the tackle on the ensuing kickoff.

But it is riskier now. And there is a difference between being on special teams, and returning punts and kickoffs. Especially kickoffs.

You're right about both hands. I love Brent. I do believe it's more prudent to be smart in your aggressiveness. Returning kickoffs from two yards deep or more isn't usually the best option, unless you have a special return guy. Better if he is not a vital starter on O or D.

There is a reason why the NCAA changed the rules to allow a fair catch on the kickoff, to put the ball on the 25. Fewer injuries for everybody.

I was there in frigid KC, DeMarco took a helmet to his knee on the Opening kickoff. Very unfortunate and unnecessary
CT is correct, Gresham should have gotten at least one of those in for 6
DeMarco had over 1400 yards and 2 tds returning kickoffs at OU. You use your best and take your chances. BTW, his numbers are #1 for OU. He was a stud. Use your best always.

My take on that 24-14 loss to Florida was, aside from Murray's absence, the failure of OU to score twice inside the red zone in the first half.... and not using Germaine Gresham, whom I considered an almost unstoppable weapon inside the 10 yard line. I thought it was some questionable play calling by OU as it squandered two scores and could have had as much as a 21-7 lead at halftime.
OU held Florida to its lowest point total of the year, which given UF's 611 points that season, was remarkable.
I will never forget our fb Matt Clapp, who I was never impressed with getting absolutely blown up as the lead blocker for Chris Brown by a Florida linebacker on the goal Line. He literally got blown backwards and Brown tackled in the backfield.Embarrassing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT