ADVERTISEMENT

Athlete Samuel Omosigho commits to OU

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
6'1" 200 lbs from Crandall Texas, 3-star, two-way player that will likely play at linebacker.
OU now has 9 commitments for 2023, all are offensive players except Omosigho, unless Kade McIntyre winds up on defense (he's currently listed as an athlete to be developed as a TE).
I keep reading that Venables' recruiting is about to really get going now, so July could be a busy month.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Encouraged that Josh's Hot 11 contains all 4 stars with the exception of only two 3 stars. Omosigho is one of those 3 stars. Not that stars are everything, but it just shows that there are some big names with whom we're in serious contention.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Again, I put a lot of faith in Venables' recruiting. He knows what he wants and needs and part of it has to be getting players he feels he can coach up.
Stoops did the same, but it never translated into winning national championships after 2000 and too often translated into postseason failures.
In Venables' case, I feel that his recruiting will turn out a decent class for 2023, but his recruiting beyond 2023 will be considerably better. Right now, Venables has to work with talent that he hasn't recruited (outside of transfers) but that will change by the time SEC membership happens .... or is said to happen.
I think one of Venables' best strengths is his familiarity with recruiting in the southeast against SEC teams. This would open up an area that OU has historically has not heavily recruited in, although some great talent has come from Florida since the Switzer era.

Again, I put a lot of faith in Venables' recruiting. He knows what he wants and needs and part of it has to be getting players he feels he can coach up.
Stoops did the same, but it never translated into winning national championships after 2000 and too often translated into postseason failures.
In Venables' case, I feel that his recruiting will turn out a decent class for 2023, but his recruiting beyond 2023 will be considerably better. Right now, Venables has to work with talent that he hasn't recruited (outside of transfers) but that will change by the time SEC membership happens .... or is said to happen.
I think one of Venables' best strengths is his familiarity with recruiting in the southeast against SEC teams. This would open up an area that OU has historically has not heavily recruited in, although some great talent has come from Florida since the Switzer era.
Good points I also think we’re going to see the players buy in to the program more than we’ve seen in the past. When you have 1st rounders playing in the post season bowl game like they did at Clemson last year, your players have bought in and are there as a team. Not one player opted out for them, meanwhile our team…….

Good points I also think we’re going to see the players buy in to the program more than we’ve seen in the past. When you have 1st rounders playing in the post season bowl game like they did at Clemson last year, your players have bought in and are there as a team. Not one player opted out for them, meanwhile our team…….
Based on your post, which I like, it seems to me that Venables and his staff are in a bit of a "tear-down-build-up" mode in resurrecting the OU program. So much of the existing talent needs to be "re-coached" and/or coached up in order to move away from the entitlement-laden atmosphere of Riley's time.
And players need to realize what it means to play at OU.
The Sooners need to regain their swagger and start playing with a chip on their shoulder again.
Riley's betrayal will be best avenged by OU doing well....by OU being "OU" again.

With Good Coaching, 3 and 4 Star Players can become 5 Star. We've seen it happen, as well as seen 5 Star Players lay an egg, without the proper coaching and use of their talents...
Very true, but we need to escalate recruiting to an Alabama level as well as improve coaching and player development....which Venables is currently doing.

With Good Coaching, 3 and 4 Star Players can become 5 Star. We've seen it happen, as well as seen 5 Star Players lay an egg, without the proper coaching and use of their talents...
We've been blessed with Brent as head coach. An exceptional player developer. He stands far and away from todays convenience store thought coaching mentalities.

Sam is a good athlete, and an even better human being. I had a chance to work with him during track season. He is the type of kid you want on your team. His work ethic is 2nd to none. Give him a couple of years in the weight room and this kid will be a player.

I
There's something to be said about only recruiting players who are "all in" and embrace the "Only One Oklahoma", etc. slogans. However, if at the end of the day that leaves you with mostly 3* and 4* players, you are not going to seriously compete for national championships with the Alabama's, Georgia's, Clemson's, Ohio States of the world. At some point, you can "coach up" as much as you can, but you can't drain blood out of a turnip when there's that much of a talent differential. In this day and age, most of the elite recruits are more concerned about a pathway to the NFL and NIL deals than they are about history and tradition.

There's something to be said about only recruiting players who are "all in" and embrace the "Only One Oklahoma", etc. slogans. However, if at the end of the day that leaves you with mostly 3* and 4* players, you are not going to seriously compete for national championships with the Alabama's, Georgia's, Clemson's, Ohio States of the world. At some point, you can "coach up" as much as you can, but you can't drain blood out of a turnip when there's that much of a talent differential. In this day and age, most of the elite recruits are more concerned about a pathway to the NFL and NIL deals than they are about history and tradition.
We are in complete agreement.
Each time OU entered the CFB Playoffs, I believed OU was the 4th best team in the mix and even against LSU, USC and Florida in the post-playoff era, I believed OU was the second-best team on the field.
Say what you will about recruiting ratings (4* or 5* as being sometimes an overrated factor) .... unless and until OU can elevate recruiting to the level of Alabama, there won't be national championships for OU.
On top of that, the NIL rule, as I see it, adds another hurdle for OU and one I'm not sure OU can overcome.
ATM, Texas, USC, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and a few others have financial resources that make the rich get richer and the NIL rule destroys any competitive balance there might have been otherwise.
That said, I believe Venables is OU best hope for the future, whatever that may bring.

Each time OU entered the CFB Playoffs, I believed OU was the 4th best team in the mix and even against LSU, USC and Florida in the post-playoff era, I believed OU was the second-best team on the field.
Say what you will about recruiting ratings (4* or 5* as being sometimes an overrated factor) .... unless and until OU can elevate recruiting to the level of Alabama, there won't be national championships for OU.
On top of that, the NIL rule, as I see it, adds another hurdle for OU and one I'm not sure OU can overcome.
ATM, Texas, USC, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and a few others have financial resources that make the rich get richer and the NIL rule destroys any competitive balance there might have been otherwise.
That said, I believe Venables is OU best hope for the future, whatever that may bring.
What makes you think OU cannot equal ATM, Texas, USC, Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State in NIL funding? I think you are incorrect is your assessment of what OU donors can bring. OU has financial resources that equals or betters a few that you mention. Our pool of donors maybe be smaller but the worth or value is considerable. The issue we have at present is who manages these resources? Do we have the best most knowledgeable group handling the NIL funding?

Agree I am going to trust Venables when he says not everyone has to be a super star just sprinkle a few in just like they did at Clemson. Unfortunately Venables has NIL to deal with now but I think he made a good decision by having NIL deals for every scholarship player on the team. Everyone is at least treated equal in that regard. I think Venables learned that whole team chemistry aspect from Dabo and it will payoff here.

How many times have we heard current players state they would run thru a brick wall for Venables in just the short time he’s been here. Im not sure I’ve heard that said in many many years around here.

Reactions: CTOkie
What makes you think OU cannot equal ATM, Texas, USC, Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State in NIL funding? I think you are incorrect is your assessment of what OU donors can bring. OU has financial resources that equals or betters a few that you mention. Our pool of donors maybe be smaller but the worth or value is considerable. The issue we have at present is who manages these resources? Do we have the best most knowledgeable group handling the NIL funding?
I hope I'm wrong, but only time will tell.
From what I'm reading about 2023 recruiting, I see the money grab occurring at the powerhouse program, but OU, being in transition, hasn't joined the party to the extent of these teams.

I hope I'm wrong, but only time will tell.
From what I'm reading about 2023 recruiting, I see the money grab occurring at the powerhouse program, but OU, being in transition, hasn't joined the party to the extent of these teams.
This, we agree on. I think the money grab direction that some these universities are taking will backfire. Greed and jealousy will, no doubt, have a detrimental effect in the locker room. At some point, parents will have to take part in the recruits decision making. NIL money is a very short term rewards program. It has an expiration date. I like the approach that Venables/OU is taking with distribution of the rewards. We will be OK. It may take a bit more time than other programs but Venables values character in conjunction with talent and ability.

Let me see if I can say this correctly. Star ratings are a product of many things. Eye test, word of mouth, how many highlight reels the player , parent or coach puts out, camps they attend and the athlete selling himself.

Not all 5 star players succeed at the college level and at times the 3 star and 4 star players awe people and makes coaches say “ how the hell did I miss on him”.

To think that a team full of 3 and 4 stars can’t win a NC over a team with 5-6 five stars and a roster full of 4 stars is discrediting the other athletes. Sometimes all it takes is great coaching ( Stoops and Co in 2000) players with the heart of a lion that believes in themselves to overcome the so called talent difference. I think this is what we are getting with this new coaching staff and if the players truely buy in, there isnt a team in the country they cant overcome.

Am I saying this could be a 2000 season? No, but then again I dont think any of us who have been around even imagined a NC run in 2000.

In the end I believe one thing is for sure under BV. We will not ever see this team quit in a game like they did under Riley.

Let me see if I can say this correctly. Star ratings are a product of many things. Eye test, word of mouth, how many highlight reels the player , parent or coach puts out, camps they attend and the athlete selling himself.

Not all 5 star players succeed at the college level and at times the 3 star and 4 star players awe people and makes coaches say “ how the hell did I miss on him”.

To think that a team full of 3 and 4 stars can’t win a NC over a team with 5-6 five stars and a roster full of 4 stars is discrediting the other athletes. Sometimes all it takes is great coaching ( Stoops and Co in 2000) players with the heart of a lion that believes in themselves to overcome the so called talent difference. I think this is what we are getting with this new coaching staff and if the players truely buy in, there isnt a team in the country they cant overcome.

Am I saying this could be a 2000 season? No, but then again I dont think any of us who have been around even imagined a NC run in 2000.

In the end I believe one thing is for sure under BV. We will not ever see this team quit in a game like they did under Riley.
My man. 👍 A new day and age for sooner football. Hop on the schooner brother, let's ride! WHOO!

We can spin recruiting ratings many ways but consider:
Alabama averages (4) 5-star recruits annually and has played for a national championship in 6 of the past 8 years, losing three and winning three in the championship game.
So, there is SOME advantage to recruiting 4*/5* players, as opposed to 3*/4* players, especially for a team like Alabama and a coach like Saban.

TX
Alabama averages (4) 5-star recruits annually and has played for a national championship in 6 of the past 8 years, losing three and winning three in the championship game.
So, there is SOME advantage to recruiting 4*/5* players, as opposed to 3*/4* players, especially for a team like Alabama and a coach like Saban.
Well shell it out. If that's what it takes. Today?

This doesn't just apply to Alabama, but all of the teams that have won national championships in the past ten to 15 years. You can look at the makeup of their rosters. Stoops was able to do it 22 years ago with mostly 3*/4*'s, but those days are long gone.

This doesn't just apply to Alabama, but all of the teams that have won national championships in the past ten to 15 years. You can look at the makeup of their rosters. Stoops was able to do it 22 years ago with mostly 3*/4*'s, but those days are long gone.
Nope. Brent's gonna bring it. Now go slip back in yer corner opie. Frickin moron.

Saben is a great coach but not every coach is able to win a NC no matter how many 5 stars they get. Unlike many I dont put a lot of stock in recruiting rankings of these players. Some live up to the rating hype while just as many never pan out.

I get it CT and I respect your opinion but I do think you tend to you put to much stock into those ratings. It can be done today ( winning a NC with 3-4 stars ) if the players buy into the coaching staff and the players believe in themselves.

Saben is a great coach but not every coach is able to win a NC no matter how many 5 stars they get. Unlike many I dont put a lot of stock in recruiting rankings of these players. Some live up to the rating hype while just as many never pan out.

I get it CT and I respect your opinion but I do think you tend to you put to much stock into those ratings. It can be done today ( winning a NC with 3-4 stars ) if the players buy into the coaching staff and the players believe in themselves.
I haven't put too much stock in recruiting rankings, but with one exception: Alabama.
I think that Alabama has an overall template for success that is the best I've seen in the modern era of teams having 25 scholarships per year.
As OU fans, it's easy to see why we don't hang our hats on recruiting ratings given that our biggest rival, Texas, annually recruits elite players that don't bring about championships of ANY kind, along with OU's recent dominance in the RRR.
But in recent years, I've seen a similar sense of entitlement at OU, in which Big 12 championships have seemed to be as much of a priority as national championships by both players and fans.
Here's my hope now that I'm 73 and am recovering from a May 20th heart valve replacement surgery: it's been said I have added 15-20 years to my life and in that time, I want another Oklahoma championship. That now has had two factors at work as I see it: 1, OU will compete in a very tough SEC conference and 2, I believe Venables can bring OU to a higher level, away from the arena football style of play and the disregard of defensive play.
I think OU will be where we all want it to be in 2-3 years....and that I'll be in an upright position to see it happen while retiring in Gettysburg beginning this January.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
I haven't put too much stock in recruiting rankings, but with one exception: Alabama.
I think that Alabama has an overall template for success that is the best I've seen in the modern era of teams having 25 scholarships per year.
As OU fans, it's easy to see why we don't hang our hats on recruiting ratings given that our biggest rival, Texas, annually recruits elite players that don't bring about championships of ANY kind, along with OU's recent dominance in the RRR.
But in recent years, I've seen a similar sense of entitlement at OU, in which Big 12 championships have seemed to be as much of a priority as national championships by both players and fans.
Here's my hope now that I'm 73 and am recovering from a May 20th heart valve replacement surgery: it's been said I have added 15-20 years to my life and in that time, I want another Oklahoma championship. That now has had two factors at work as I see it: 1, OU will compete in a very tough SEC conference and 2, I believe Venables can bring OU to a higher level, away from the arena football style of play and the disregard of defensive play.
I think OU will be where we all want it to be in 2-3 years....and that I'll be in an upright position to see it happen while retiring in Gettysburg beginning this January.
Gettysburg is on my bucket list. One of these days I hope to visit it.

I think many of us want to see #8 and quite honestly I think it should have already happened. Big 12 Championships are nice but I think we can all agree its the NC we all want to see more than anything else as fans again. I think the new coaching staff will get that done within the next few years.

I dont see that happening for Riley anytime soon at USC and truely believe he done us all a favor by jumping ship.

That now has had two factors at work as I see it: 1, OU will compete in a very tough SEC conference and 2, I believe Venables can bring OU to a higher level, away from the arena football style of play and the disregard of defensive play.
Actually, the Big 12 has collectively played better defense than the SEC the past couple of years, while the SEC offenses have gotten more explosive than the Big 12 offenses. It's almost like somebody flipped a switch and the two conferences swapped out their philosophies.

Actually, the Big 12 has collectively played better defense than the SEC the past couple of years, while the SEC offenses have gotten more explosive than the Big 12 offenses. It's almost like somebody flipped a switch and the two conferences swapped out their philosophies.
Good points.
So many college games have become scoring orgies these past two decades, even among teams like Alabama.
The days of 10-7 ballgames are over.
What makes for good defensive play nowadays is more about containment (holding an opponent to 24-28 points) than shutdowns.....and shutdowns are fewer and fewer every season it seems.

Back in 'The Bud Years', if the team didn't win in a Blowout, they didn't feel like they'd won!
Wasn't there a reference to greedy OU fans being "Chinamen" as it pertains to them being disappointed if OU's wins were not blowouts? "How much rice can a Chinaman eat?" was posed by a journalist named Jay Simon.
While the expression can't be use today with triggering outrage, it did correctly note that many OU fans were never satisfied unless OU exceeded the point spread.
I remember that happening in the 2017 OU-Auburn Sugar Bowl when someone here was very upset that Auburn scored a touchdown as time expired in a 35-19 romp by OU.

WHOOO! My man. Yes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT