ADVERTISEMENT

4-Piece Nuggets: Laying the final Brix on the offensive class

Parker Thune

Campus Legend
Gold Member
Apr 30, 2023

— It’s not a certainty, because precious little with this kid is, but I can tell you all that Oklahoma EXPECTS four-star offensive tackle Grant Brix back in Norman for the Party at the Palace. I spoke to Brix last night and he said that he’s hoping to solidify a decision on the other side of some late July visits. Kansas State is holding their end-of-month recruiting bash on the 27th, and the big day for the Party at the Palace is the 28th. Meanwhile, Nebraska has a rendezvous of their own planned for the 30th. Again, the schedule is not set in stone just yet, but Brix is aiming to visit all three schools for the moment. I will be visiting Brix in person again come early August, so I’ll have more good intel once those visits are done and over. The Sooner staff remains confident, and Bill Bedenbaugh is putting in good work with both Brix and his father down the stretch.

— Yes, Taylor Tatum will commit later this morning. No, the potential of a pledge to Oklahoma will not negatively impact the Sooners’ pursuit of Caden Durham. I’ve touched base with several sources this week and I still like where OU stands in that race. Yes, LSU is an ever-present threat, but I am not remotely convinced they lead or have ever led. This is where the Bayou Bengals really have a chance to make their move, though. Watch this one closely over the next couple of weeks to see if LSU can use Tatum’s pledge as a negative recruiting tactic and make a strong surge. But I give the edge to the Sooners as things stand.

— We initially expected a decision by now from Michael Boganowski. In fact, when the family came down to Norman for his official visit in mid-June, his father told me that they were shooting for a commitment by mid-July once official visits were complete. However, what we’ve long reported about the family’s respective relationships with Steve Stanard and Brandon Hall has really complicated this process. In the end, the kid’s going to have to tell somebody no, and that won’t be an easy thing to do. I still believe Oklahoma will be the choice over Kansas State, but you’re forgiven for feeling a bit uneasy about the four-star safety as another round of visits to Manhattan and Norman come into view. In total candor, the longer this drags out, the better things look for K-State. But Oklahoma does get the final visit on the 28th, which is something to feel good about.

— As we start to take stock of the 2025 class and the potential for early momentum, I consider it reasonably likely that Gus Cordova jumps on board by the end of the month. Either way, that’s not a recruitment that’s bound to take long. I mentioned earlier in the week that Isaiah Mozee and Ka’Mori Moore could also be locked in with Oklahoma in the near future. Add a couple of additional candidates in guys like four-star OL Michael Fasusi and four-star TE Dasaahn Brame, and I think there’s a world in which the Sooners have seven or eight 2025 commits by year’s end. Kevin Sperry is on the ball as the Sooners’ lead peer recruiter, and the Oklahoma assistants are doing an awesome job of building strong relationships early in the process with some of the country’s best 2025 players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News