ADVERTISEMENT

2024 CFP begin 12 team field

Isn't this old news? I thought they decided this in September or October??? They voted against it in Feb 2022, and then just recently overturned that decision in Sept or Oct. What's the latest development that would drive a Dec 1st Twitter post?

Oh, I see. It was expanding to 12, but a year hadn't been decided for the change. It has officially been decided for 2024.

What's our ranking? :)

Let's just start the season as a 130 team tournament. We would have gotten 4 games, at least.
This has nothing to do with Oklahoma so not sure why your directing it as if it is. OU is not a good team this year but in years past OU did have some teams that just “ might” have won a playoff game in with a 12 team field.

In reality CFB has never started a tournament as it was always going to be 8-10 teams vying for the 4 team field when they started this. This 12 team field opens the door for some G5 teams to get a shot and at least takes away half the fields selection bias away from the committee. Those who like the BS committee selection process more power to them but its time to take out as much of the human bias process out of this clown act as possible.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Just look at the latest CFP rankings, Bama above a team they lost to with the same identical record? Dont think for a minute this committee isnt trying to find a way to squeeze Bama in and I would bet they are hoping to see either TCU or USC lose if not both. Integrity is not a word associated with these people

This has nothing to do with Oklahoma so not sure why your directing it as if it is. OU is not a good team this year but in years past OU did have some teams that just “ might” have won a playoff game in with a 12 team field.

In reality CFB has never started a tournament as it was always going to be 8-10 teams vying for the 4 team field when they started this. This 12 team field opens the door for some G5 teams to get a shot and at least takes away half the fields selection bias away from the committee. Those who like the BS committee selection process more power to them but its time to take out as much of the human bias process out of this clown act as possible.

I was being tongue-in-cheek. I was genuinely wondering OUs ranking this year and how far the CFP would have to expand to include us.

• Haha
I was being tongue-in-cheek. I was genuinely wondering OUs ranking this year and how far the CFP would have to expand to include us.
I wasnt sure really what you meant. Believe it or not and I cant imagine why both CFN and CBS has OU in the 40 to 50 range. Sems high to me.

JCon

CFN has OU at 43 just ahead of Mizzou and Arkansas. CBS has OU at 53 one spot ahead of Arkansas. As long as they keep Hogs behind OU I am happy.

No.
A six-team playoff I like better.
I would be okay with 6 as long as it involved every P5 CC along with 1 G5 that meets certain specs. I take it you are a fan of the committee or do you want real guidlines laid down like I do?

Reactions: SoonerSA
I would be okay with 6 as long as it involved every P5 CC along with 1 G5 that meets certain specs. I take it you are a fan of the committee, or do you want real guidelines laid down like I do?
Not really a fan of any committee.
I feel an extended playoff format would diminish the importance of the regular season in CFB. It's smacks of giving out participation trophies.
It's always been that there is very little margin for error in CFB's regular season. Not any more.
12 team playoffs could often allow teams with two losses.
It's my opinion that six teams are enough but it's out of my control as are the horrible transfer portal rule and the NIL rule.... and both are steaming piles of money grabbing.... but I'm done caring about it.

As it pertains to OU, this is what the matchups would have been in the playoff era with this 12-team format:

2015 Quarterfinals: #4 Oklahoma vs. #5 Iowa/#12 Houston winner
2016 First Round: #10 Colorado at #7 Oklahoma
2017 Quarterfinals: #2 Oklahoma vs #7 Auburn/#10 Miami winner
2018 Quarterfinals: #3 Oklahoma vs #6 Georgia/#11 LSU winner
2019 Quarterfinals: #4 Oklahoma vs #5 Georgia/#12 Memphis winner
2020 Quarterfinals: #4 Oklahoma vs #5 Notre Dame/#12 Coastal Carolina winner

So OU would have gained an extra playoff spot in 2016 as an at-large team.

I feel an extended playoff format would diminish the importance of the regular season in CFB. It's smacks of giving out participation trophies.
It's always been that there is very little margin for error in CFB's regular season. Not any more.
It's my opinion that six teams are enough but it's out of my control as are the horrible transfer portal rule and the NIL rule.... and both are steaming piles of money grabbing.... but I'm done caring about it.
Totally agree CT. Just want to add that this committee has already diminshed the regular season in the past by giving Bama and Ohio St entry into the CFP without even playing in their CCG. In my opinion if you dont even put your season on the line with that 13th data point that this committee argued with in the initial years then teams didnt earn its way in. Its been a “who you are” in the CFB world selection process for years now.

Totally agree. Now, the only games that really matter, will be attended by fat cat donors paying four figures for the games at the end of year. A meaningful game on Owen Field will be few a far between.

I've been okay with forking out $300 for an RRR ticket when both teams were undefeated in the past. But these post season games only for people a lot richer than most of us. I suspect it might drive down that value of regular season tickets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT